LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-16-2020, 03:14 PM   #1
TokTok

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Password does not match keyring ?

I`m using deb 10.3 or 4 i don`t remember exactly bot i got a very odd error message when i tried to login to a password manager i use, stating that my pc password does not match my keyring - see the image - can anybody explain this and correct if possible ?
This prevents me from being able to login to the password manager "Myki"
I have contacted them and waiting for them to respond but thought i might get a quicker answer here - like i usually do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2020-05-16 16-07-44.png
Views:	30
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	33217  

Last edited by TokTok; 05-16-2020 at 03:16 PM.

Old 05-16-2020, 05:08 PM   #2
erik2282

Distribution: Primarily Deb/Ubuntu, and some CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 229Reputation: 229Reputation: 229
~/.local/share/keyrings/login.keyring

check if that file exists. if so delete it and log off and back on. when you open a program that depends on it, it will prompt you to create a new one. Or if you dont want to use it, then you can remove it from your startup apps.

Old 05-16-2020, 05:37 PM   #3
TokTok

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik2282 View Post
~/.local/share/keyrings/login.keyring

check if that file exists. if so delete it and log off and back on. when you open a program that depends on it, it will prompt you to create a new one. Or if you dont want to use it, then you can remove it from your startup apps.
I`m a newbie to linux so let`s go over things step by step.

1.type the above into terminal as is correct ?
2. How to create a new one - create a new one what and how ?
3.If i don`t want to use it remove from start up apps - What to remove and why should i not want to use it ?

I want to continue to use the Myki app but have stored passwords and need them i don`t want to delete them as i still need them so how do i get it repaired without deleting the logins ? I did type the above into the terminal and got this -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TERMINAL.png
Views:	17
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	33219  

Last edited by TokTok; 05-16-2020 at 05:42 PM.

Old 05-16-2020, 05:51 PM   #4
erik2282

Distribution: Primarily Deb/Ubuntu, and some CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 229Reputation: 229Reputation: 229
1. open terminal, run command below. If you get the same output like me, then run the second command to remove the keyring. This is basically resetting the keyring. or you can move the file elsewhere on your system or rename it so it will create a new one when it the app opens.
Code:
erik@ipa:~$ ls ~/.local/share/keyrings/login.keyring
/home/erik/.local/share/keyrings/login.keyring
Code:
erik@ipa:~$ rm ~/.local/share/keyrings/login.keyring
2. log off and back on to your user account and open a program that would normally prompt you to enter your keyring password, like myki if it normally does.

3. Look in your system menu for startup applications. you can edit which apps start when you log in. if you dont want to use keyring app, then you can uncheck the box for it and logoff/on and it will not prompt you for it.

I don't know anything about Myki, I'm assuming it has it's own location to store encrypted credentials, maybe under your /home/user/ folder as a .dot file or /home/user/.config folder??

Last edited by erik2282; 05-16-2020 at 05:53 PM.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:38 PM   #5
TokTok

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik2282 View Post
1. open terminal, run command below. If you get the same output like me, then run the second command to remove the keyring. This is basically resetting the keyring. or you can move the file elsewhere on your system or rename it so it will create a new one when it the app opens.
Code:
erik@ipa:~$ ls ~/.local/share/keyrings/login.keyring
/home/erik/.local/share/keyrings/login.keyring
Code:
erik@ipa:~$ rm ~/.local/share/keyrings/login.keyring
2. log off and back on to your user account and open a program that would normally prompt you to enter your keyring password, like myki if it normally does.

3. Look in your system menu for startup applications. you can edit which apps start when you log in. if you dont want to use keyring app, then you can uncheck the box for it and logoff/on and it will not prompt you for it.

I don't know anything about Myki, I'm assuming it has it's own location to store encrypted credentials, maybe under your /home/user/ folder as a .dot file or /home/user/.config folder??
I went to start up and deselected something mentioning keyring so i will just try it and restart. I normally get prompted for the Myki password when i start Myki but never this keyring thing before.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:25 PM   #6
TokTok

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by TokTok View Post
I went to start up and deselected something mentioning keyring so i will just try it and restart. I normally get prompted for the Myki password when i start Myki but never this keyring thing before.
It did not work now all i get is a blank screen but i`m not going to worry about it. I need to delete the desktop app so can you tell me how to delete the installed desktop script ? The companion browser app i can just remove.