LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-20-2020, 04:55 PM   #1
igadoter

Distribution: many, primary Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 625Reputation: 625Reputation: 625Reputation: 625Reputation: 625Reputation: 625
I am curious someone is using kiwix offline wikipedia reader? or similar?

I was looking for standalone wikipedia reader - out of web browser. And I found this https://www.kiwix.org/en/ I am curious is someone using this? Or something similar? This can be useful if subject has large wikipedia.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:32 AM   #2
giomat

Rep: Reputation: 238Reputation: 238Reputation: 238
I had the same thought yesterday. I'm using kiwix-tools to serve pages from a local wikipedia dump to the browser. It works really well using zim compressed files, you can also get stackexchange, project Gutenberg books and archwiki dumps in zim format.
I followed up the quickstart commands from the readme of this repo https://github.com/pirate/wikipedia-mirror/
You can find recent dumps to download here http://download.kiwix.org/zim/

EDIT: if you really don't want to use the browser to view pages, you can use the kiwix reader program to read the zim files (the program comes with an interface to download them too). Its written in qt but the build process is a bit unusual for my tastes, they provide an appimage though which works in slackware-current

Last edited by giomat; 03-21-2020 at 05:35 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.