LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-09-2020, 04:27 AM   #1
amrs
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Ubuntu 16.04 boots to command line despite settings

I have an oldish Ubuntu 16.04.05 LTS running in VirtualBox (Windows 10 host). For some reason it boots always to command line even though it should start in GUI. That is, systemctl get-default reports graphical.target, lightdm.service is enabled (or not sure since this is still a jumble of systemd and SysV init but seems to be) and right after boot also systemctl status graphical.target says it was reached. journalctl doesn't report any issues. GUI starts without issue with systemctl start lightdm.service or also with just /etc/init.d/lightdm start.

I may have done this myself somehow since I had some issues with the virtual machine at some point but can't remember what I did.

Old 03-09-2020, 05:28 AM   #2
berndbausch
LQ Addict

Distribution: Mostly Ubuntu and Centos

Rep: Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002Reputation: 2002
What do you get from systemctl status lightdm?

Are you sure lightdm is a dependency of graphical.target?

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:11 AM   #3
amrs
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thanks, that was it. graphical.target depends on display-manager.service which didn't exist. Adding a symlink
Code:
/etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service -> /lib/systemd/system/lightdm.service
fixed it.