LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-06-2020, 05:22 PM   #76
burning

Distribution: Slackware

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled

I made sure network manager and wicd are not set to be executable. Running the first command you listed told me that dhcpcd was already running.

Quote:
Polling for DHCP server on interface wlan0:
dhcpcd already running on PID 988 (run/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-wlan0.pid)
But upon restarting it successfully connected! Thank you so much for your patience and help throughout this thread! I really do feel bad about it having had to take this long.

So I take it the problem was just that I had network manager and wicd running everytime?

And one follow up question though, just to check, does PID stand for Process ID? Or is it something else?

Old 05-06-2020, 05:55 PM   #77
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656
Yes, something was causing dhcpcd to run. If it continues to happen after a reboot, we'd need to figure out what's going on, but if it just happened this one time, it's likely related to networkmanager or wicd.

And yes, PID does stand for Process ID.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:12 PM   #78
chris.willing

Distribution: Slackware,LFS

Rep: Reputation: 619Reputation: 619Reputation: 619Reputation: 619Reputation: 619Reputation: 619
Been occasionally watching from the sideline - great effort @bassmadrigal

Old 05-06-2020, 07:22 PM   #79
abga

Rep: Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.willing View Post
Been occasionally watching from the sideline - great effort @bassmadrigal
Indeed! And yet again, one more example for me about why I should continue to disconsider those GUI connection helpers and stick with the "standard", simple and transparent Slackware/Linux network configuration.

Old 05-06-2020, 11:00 PM   #80
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656
Quote:
Originally Posted by abga View Post
Indeed! And yet again, one more example for me about why I should continue to disconsider those GUI connection helpers and stick with the "standard", simple and transparent Slackware/Linux network configuration.
It really works great on computers that stay with the same wireless network, but if you need to frequently add new networks (if you take your laptop to new locations), NM or wicd certainly makes it easier to add networks to it.

Old 05-06-2020, 11:16 PM   #81
abga

Rep: Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmadrigal View Post
It really works great on computers that stay with the same wireless network, but if you need to frequently add new networks (if you take your laptop to new locations), NM or wicd certainly makes it easier to add networks to it.
I agree with you on the convenience, although I can handle the few WiFi networks I'm connecting to from command line. And, wpa_supplicant also has cli interface I frankly never used, still on my to-do list for learning/using.
It looks like these GUI helpers are not really helping after all, but produce more fallout and cost a lot of support efforts. I had my own experience with wicd and its dumb interface(ncurses), where pressing Enter by mistake messed up my whole networking and had to manually restart the system. And this incomplete "work of art" called NetworkManager should handle exceptions a little bit better, even if its developers are maybe Agile brainwashed and not prioritizing quality, they should at least do some checks and inform the user (it would be nice to handle the problems - remove pid files (leftovers) from the system utilities they make use of).

Old 05-07-2020, 03:10 PM   #82
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by abga View Post
I agree with you on the convenience, although I can handle the few WiFi networks I'm connecting to from command line. And, wpa_supplicant also has cli interface I frankly never used, still on my to-do list for learning/using.
It looks like these GUI helpers are not really helping after all, but produce more fallout and cost a lot of support efforts. I had my own experience with wicd and its dumb interface(ncurses), where pressing Enter by mistake messed up my whole networking and had to manually restart the system. And this incomplete "work of art" called NetworkManager should handle exceptions a little bit better, even if its developers are maybe Agile brainwashed and not prioritizing quality, they should at least do some checks and inform the user (it would be nice to handle the problems - remove pid files (leftovers) from the system utilities they make use of).
Honestly, reasons like these and others on the forum have given me no desire to try and use these programs. I had a bash script I developed years ago (back when it was mostly WEP networks) when I was using a laptop at several friends' houses. I don't think wicd or network manager existed. Eventually, when wpa became more common, I actually wasn't using a laptop and was mostly wired for my ethernet. Once I did have wireless again, using the rc.inet1.conf file just seemed so much easier and would connect automatically on boot, even if I was just runlevel 3.

Old 06-21-2020, 06:08 AM   #83
burning

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmadrigal View Post
Yes, something was causing dhcpcd to run. If it continues to happen after a reboot, we'd need to figure out what's going on, but if it just happened this one time, it's likely related to networkmanager or wicd.

And yes, PID does stand for Process ID.
So, since I recently updated from 14.2 to Current, I haven't been able to connect with my wireless automatically at startup. I re-edited my rc.d/rc.inet1.conf and wpa_supplicant.conf files and wpa_supplicant seems to work just fine, the problem seems to arise with dhcpcd wlan0.

On startup, I'm unable to establish successful connections to any websites. Running dhcpcd wlan0 gives the usual "dhcpcd is already running on pid...etc" message. But everything starts to work perfectly fine as soon as I killall dhcpcd and run dhcpcd wlan0 again.

Any idea what's causing this?

Old 06-21-2020, 04:41 PM   #84
abga

Maybe the new (updated) WiFi driver from the -current kernel.
Try increasing the time dhcpcd waits for obtaining the ip config in rc.inet1.conf
DHCP_TIMEOUT[4]=30

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:48 AM   #85
burning

Original Poster
Actually, For some reason it works fine now? I didn't even need to change the DHCP_TIMEOUT value. It just works again. nvm lol