LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-10-2019, 06:15 PM   #16
bifferos

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 149Reputation: 149

All working now:
https://github.com/bifferos/slackbui...tualbox-addons

This is (for me at least) a much better way of doing things than the existing 5.0.40 slackbuild, because:
  • More likely to work with the latest version unchanged
  • No need to download the sources from anywhere, if you build on the VirtualBox VM then you just copy the VBoxLinuxAdditions.run file from the mounted CD into the build directory, that's your 'source' file
  • No need to manually create any init scripts as documented on the slackbuild README because the additions installer does it for you.
  • No need to specify any version for the package, it's pulled out of the Additions installer.

Since this isn't a proper slackbuild I won't be submitting it anywhere, I'm not saying the original slackbuild doesn't have its place just that I didn't have time to fix it, and I'm pretty sure this was the faster way.

Hopefully you will find it useful.

Old 11-10-2019, 09:57 PM   #17
bormant

Rep: Reputation: 240Reputation: 240Reputation: 240
Another news: vboxsf included in vanilla kernel 5.4_rc7 (vboxguest and vboxvideo already included).
Maybe kernel part of GA will come from stock kernel soon...

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:12 PM   #18
Aeterna

Distribution: VM Host: Slackware-current, VM Guests: Artix, Venom, antiX, Gentoo, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, OpenIndiana

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by bormant View Post
Another news: vboxsf included in vanilla kernel 5.4_rc7 (vboxguest and vboxvideo already included).
Maybe kernel part of GA will come from stock kernel soon...
and it works. Just tested in Slackware VM client. Obviously shared clipboard is not yet there

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:36 AM   #19
bifferos

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 149Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeterna View Post
and it works. Just tested in Slackware VM client. Obviously shared clipboard is not yet there
What happens when you run the VB Additions installer? Does it figure out what's going on or still try to compile its own modules?

Old 11-11-2019, 02:37 PM   #20
bormant

Rep: Reputation: 240Reputation: 240Reputation: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeterna View Post
Obviously shared clipboard is not yet there
Yes, it is not kernel part of GA.

Old 11-12-2019, 12:12 PM   #21
Aeterna

Distribution: VM Host: Slackware-current, VM Guests: Artix, Venom, antiX, Gentoo, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, OpenIndiana

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by bifferos View Post
What happens when you run the VB Additions installer? Does it figure out what's going on or still try to compile its own modules?
Impossible as VB Additions is not compatible with 5.4.rc-x
You will have to wait a bit.
Anyway, for kernel vboxsf to work I had to uninstall VboxAdditions first.

@bormant
I know that shared clipboard is not a part of kernel support yet. I was just emphasizing that if someone wants to take kernel approach, some functionality is missing.

2 members found this post helpful.