LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-23-2019, 07:53 AM   #1
montagdude

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 1619Reputation: 1619Reputation: 1619Reputation: 1619Reputation: 1619Reputation: 1619Reputation: 1619Reputation: 1619Reputation: 1619Reputation: 1619Reputation: 1619
Plasma 5 -current: ~/.local/share/sddm/xorg-session.log takes up all remaining disk space

When I logged into my laptop this morning, I was greeted by a message that $HOME had 0 MB of disk space left. Digging into this, I eventually traced the culprit to ~/.local/share/sddm/xorg-session.log, which had grown to 104 GB. Tailing the file, I see these two messages repeated over and over:

Code:
org.kde.baloo.engine: PositionDB::put MDB_BAD_TXN: Transaction must abort, has a child, or is invalid
org.kde.baloo.engine: PostingDB::put MDB_BAD_TXN: Transaction must abort, has a child, or is invalid
Looks like more baloo nonsense, and I'm not the only one:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-...99dec88eb28daa

Too bad, I wanted to use it, but it has too many problems. Plasma 5 might be ready for prime time, but only if baloo is removed, IMO. I am purging it from my system now.

Edit: also possibly related bug report: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=406868

Last edited by montagdude; 10-23-2019 at 07:59 AM.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:14 AM   #2
Toutatis

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I don't use baloo (I don't need it). My .config/baloofilerc contains

[Basic Settings]
Indexing-Enabled=false

I think that this disables baloo.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:21 AM   #3
montagdude

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1619Reputation: 1619Reputation: 1619Reputation: 1619Reputation: 1619Reputation: 1619Reputation: 1619Reputation: 1619Reputation: 1619Reputation: 1619Reputation: 1619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toutatis View Post
I don't use baloo (I don't need it). My .config/baloofilerc contains

[Basic Settings]
Indexing-Enabled=false

I think that this disables baloo.
Yeah, I would think so too. In practice, baloo_file_extractor keeps running on my system even when I disable baloo, causing periodic lock-ups that I have to just wait through until it decides to give me back some CPU to work with. Maybe disabling it and then restarting would do the trick, but I've about had it with trying to work around it.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:33 AM   #4
Chuck56

Rep: Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479
balooctl may offer some additional help.

Code:
$ balooctl
Usage: balooctl [options] command status enable disable purge suspend resume check index clear config monitor indexSize failed

Options:
  -f, --format <format>  Output format <multiline|json|simple>.
                         The default format is "multiline".
                         Only applies to "balooctl status <file>"
  -v, --version          Displays version information.
  -h, --help             Displays this help.

Arguments:
  command                The command to execute
  status                 Print the status of the indexer
  enable                 Enable the file indexer
  disable                Disable the file indexer
  purge                  Remove the index database
  suspend                Suspend the file indexer
  resume                 Resume the file indexer
  check                  Check for any unindexed files and index them
  index                  Index the specified files
  clear                  Forget the specified files
  config                 Modify the Baloo configuration
  monitor                Monitor the file indexer
  indexSize              Display the disk space used by index
  failed                 Display files which could not be indexed
After you post I took a look at my xorg-session.log and saw similar repeating errors. I went "init 3", deleted the xorg-session.log, baloo index & index-lock, back to "int4" and restarted Plasma. I'll keep an eye on it for a while to see if the errors return.

Always something to keep things interesting!

Old 10-25-2019, 03:37 PM   #5
montagdude

Original Poster
I tried baloo again today, this time removing ~/.local/share/baloo first and disabling indexing file content. It finishes in a matter of seconds now and doesn't blow up xorg-session.log. I will mark this as solved and perhaps modify my 2 cents to say that baloo is fine if file content indexing is disabled. It seems to be the file content indexing that was causing the really poor performance and probably also causing ~/.local/share/sddm/xorg-session.log to blow up.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-25-2019, 03:48 PM   #6
Chuck56

Rep: Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479Reputation: 479
Nice! I'm glad baloo is working out you you now.

1 members found this post helpful.