LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-08-2019, 10:04 AM   #1
rshepard

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 28
14.2: AMD Ryzen7 CPU and gcc-5.x issues

My new desktop has an AMD Ryzen7 2700 CPU on an Asus Prime X470-Pro motherboard. Slackware-14.2, fully patched, is installed. I've had issues with applications not building or, in the case of jpilot (an essential business and personal tool for me), it builds but segfaults when trying to load.

According to these two threads the issue is with gcc-5.x and the new hardware:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...ausing_random/

https://community.amd.com/thread/215773

The incompatibilities apparently were fixed in gcc-6.x. I see that -current has gcc-9.x. Is there a way for me to upgrade 14.2's gcc suite with the one from current? I need a production machine (this will be my new server/workstation) so I probably don't want to run all of -current on it.

All ideas, suggestions, and recommendations are needed.

Regards,

Rich

Old 09-08-2019, 10:38 AM   #2
orbea

Distribution: Slackware64-current

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
You could try llvm-8.0.1 in /extra, the clang it provides is much newer.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
Tonus

Distribution: Slackware-15.0

Rep: Reputation: 514Reputation: 514Reputation: 514Reputation: 514Reputation: 514Reputation: 514
14.2: AMD Ryzen7 CPU and gcc-5.x issues

I suggest you mirror a current tree and stick with it for a while (usually, mirror it, wait a few days looking at this forum to see if there is something wrong and update if nothing is wrong.).

You also could consider installing on disk the Live Slackware provided by Alien Bob. It usually works fine. Then pick only security updates.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:48 AM   #4
Geist

Distribution: Slackware 14 / current

Rep: Reputation: 196Reputation: 196
How many RAM sticks are you running and at which speed? I had segfaults all the time running 4 of 4 slots at a too high speed (the internal memory controller of Ryzen 7200 is a bit of a sissy when it comes to that).

No voltage settings helped, I just got segfaults all the time, then I took out two, still same overclocked speeds, no segfaults, then I installed the other two, lowered the frequency of the RAM and it has been running perfectly stable ever sinceš.
I'm even undervolting the thing quite a bit now (šthe undervolt can cause hangups very rarely, but if you're not that agressive like I am with that, then you should have true stability. I just take it in stride when it happens, which, again, is incredibly rare. When it happens I temporarely increase the voltage, compile whatever big arse thing I am trying to compile, and then undervolt again).

Edit:
The first link wasn't found for me when I clicked it those few minutes ago, just checked the second link and it's listing RAM clocks as not making a difference, it seems.
But it doesn't list the number of sticks, etc, so maybe this still helps?

Last edited by Geist; 09-10-2019 at 01:51 AM.

Tags
amd, gcc version, ryzen7