LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-04-2019, 07:33 AM   #1
madmax25

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Xubuntu - Kernel update via bash - My suggestion. Your opinion?

I already posted this in the Bodhi section, but I thought, perhaps, it might be interesting for Ubuntu/Xubuntu users, too.

Because I consider it quite annoying to type in the name of each of the 5 kernel packages, when installing (or removing) a new kernel, I created a bash script to make it easier.
What do you think about it?

Code:
 Install kernel:

read -p "Please enter kernel number: `echo '\n> '`" a
sleep 1
echo

sudo apt install linux-headers-"${a}" linux-headers-"${a}"-generic linux-image-"${a}"-generic linux-modules-"${a}"-generic linux-modules-extra-"${a}"-generic
sleep 2
echo

read -p "Please close with the Enter-key ... " Enter
and here the script for removing the kernel:

Code:
 Remove kernel:

read -p "Please enter kernel number: `echo '\n> '`" a
sleep 1
echo

sudo apt purge linux-headers-"${a}" linux-headers-"${a}"-generic linux-image-"${a}"-generic linux-modules-"${a}"-generic linux-modules-extra-"${a}"-generic
sleep 2
echo

read -p "Please close with the Enter-key ... " Enter
I did this, because ukuu failed to install a kernel lately.

Last edited by madmax25; 09-04-2019 at 07:36 AM.

Old 09-04-2019, 03:20 PM   #2
Skaperen

Distribution: Xubuntu, Ubuntu, Slackware, Amazon Linux, OpenBSD, LFS (on Sparc_32 and i386)

Rep: Reputation: 176Reputation: 176
you should make scripts that can also take the info if given on the command line arguments. it should ask if that info is not given.

your bash scripts should include the "#!/bin/bash" line at the top so it is easy to just move into a personal "~/bin" directory.