LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-18-2019, 06:32 PM   #1
Raxnic

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
18.04 wont wake up unless I turn off my montitor then back on.

I just installed 18.04 on a new system and the only way i can get ubuntu to exit sleep mode is to turn off my monitor and turn it on again. Tapping keys and moving the mouse does not do it, like in 16.04 and 14.

I used the caffeine extension but that keeps the monitor always on, I installed xscreensaver but it seems to not work after a reboot.

I dont have an nvidia card, its on board intel graphics.

Ive tried with wayland and X and the same thing happens.

Any idea how to exit sleep mode without turning off the monitor all the time?

Thanks.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:40 PM   #2
permaroot

Distribution: Arch Linux

Rep: Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raxnic View Post
I just installed 18.04 on a new system and the only way i can get ubuntu to exit sleep mode is to turn off my monitor and turn it on again. Tapping keys and moving the mouse does not do it, like in 16.04 and 14.

I used the caffeine extension but that keeps the monitor always on, I installed xscreensaver but it seems to not work after a reboot.

Thanks.
Have you tried System/Preferences/PowerManagement an unchecking put screen to sleep?

Old 08-18-2019, 06:51 PM   #3
Raxnic

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by permaroot View Post
Have you tried System/Preferences/PowerManagement an unchecking put screen to sleep?
Yes, Ive played around with all the power settings and sleep settings. I did mistype my post, its not sleep mode its power savings. If I uncheck it or set it to never blank the screen then its always on, If I chose a time to turn off, then after it blanks thats when it wont come back on and I have to turn off the monitor then back on.

Old 08-18-2019, 07:16 PM   #4
permaroot

Quote:
Yes, Ive played around with all the power settings and sleep settings. I did mistype my post, its not sleep mode its power savings. If I uncheck it or set it to never blank the screen then its always on, If I chose a time to turn off, then after it blanks thats when it wont come back on and I have to turn off the monitor then back on.
Sounds like it could be driver related? Can you see if the video drivers changed from v16 to v18?

Old 08-18-2019, 07:28 PM   #5
Raxnic

Original Poster
Quote:
Sounds like it could be driver related? Can you see if the video drivers changed from v16 to v18?
I guessing they must have, since this is a totally different computer and about 12 years newer than the one I have v16 on.

Old 08-18-2019, 07:43 PM   #6
permaroot

Quote:
I guessing they must have, since this is a totally different computer and about 12 years newer than the one I have v16 on.
It could also be updated versions of the programs that handle the behavior that you are talking about.

Start searching and see what has changed in respects to video drivers or programs whose behavior has changed and see about rolling back to the previous versions of said drivers/programs.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:28 PM   #7
Raxnic

Original Poster
Quote:
It could also be updated versions of the programs that handle the behavior that you are talking about.

Start searching and see what has changed in respects to video drivers or programs whose behavior has changed and see about rolling back to the previous versions of said drivers/programs.
I will look into that, Thanks.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:50 AM   #8
Raxnic

Original Poster
Since I switched to Cinnamon the behaviour has changed. Now the monitor comes back on with a touch of the mouse from the login screen. I am using a screen saver now. I can choose the black screen option as a screen saver.
I guess I will leave it at that.

Thanks.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:50 PM   #9
Raxnic

Original Poster
Well, I guess its not solved. What I previously posted is not correct. If I leave the login screen up and "something" goes to

sleeps then I have to turn off the monitor and turn it back on for Ubuntu to come back to life, If I am logged in as a user

then I move the mouse or hit the keyboard and it pops to life. Ubuntu 16 and 14 did not do this, same monitor.

I checked the power settings, bios settings, and monitor monitor and dont see any reason it would do this.

I am pretty sure if I deactivate the screensaver then this behaviour would happen when logged in also.

Last edited by Raxnic; 08-29-2019 at 07:52 PM.

Old 09-04-2019, 01:01 PM   #10
dna9

Distribution: Ubuntu mostly...

Rep: Reputation: 28
HDMI?

Quote:

Thanks.
are you using an HDMI connection to your monitor? just curious....

Old 09-05-2019, 09:27 PM   #11
Raxnic

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by dna9 View Post
are you using an HDMI connection to your monitor? just curious....
Yes, and I was not before...........

I will give VGA a try and see if that resolves the issue.