LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-11-2019, 10:36 AM   #1
lopid

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Question Scrollbar on the recently updated Firefox

I'm just wondering if I'm the only one that noticed the scroll bar on regular pages in Firefox 68 is no longer using the one from the system GTK theme:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-07-11_16-31-02.png
Views:	442
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	30893

However, its internal pages do still use it:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-07-11_16-33-17.png
Views:	437
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	30894

I wonder if I'm missing something, here.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:03 PM   #2
TheRealGrogan

Distribution: Slackware, LFS, Manjaro (for gaming)

Rep: Reputation: 413Reputation: 413Reputation: 413Reputation: 413Reputation: 413
You are not... that royally pissed me off. I'll quote myself from a post in another thread here:

I have been angry today, that Firefox 68 no longer respects GTK styling for the scrollbar. It defaults to very ugly, thin, hard to grab, hard to see when short, grey scrollbars and grey scrollbar track. It uses my GTK+ style in preferences pages in the browser, but not on sites. This is likely related to website CSS being able to change it, my guess is that they enforced it so that would work consistently. I have a black GTK+ style with glowing orange to black gradient, that I am very fond of.

I can't get my hover gradient, but I can at least override the behaviour by creating a chrome/userContent.css file so I can see and grab my scrollbar again.

Code:
:root{
   scrollbar-color: #BA4A00 #000000;
   scrollbar-width: auto;
}
Based on information here:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...crollbar-color

The first colour value is for the scrollbar ("thumb") and the second is for the scrollbar track. As far as I can tell, scrollbar-width can be thin, auto, or none, with auto being OS defaults.

NOTE: In Firefox 68, they have disabled user customizations by default. Supposedly for "performance" they are no longer parsing userContent.css, userChrome.css, userChrome.xml etc. and you have to enable it in about:config

Toggle this value to True

Code:
toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:23 PM   #3
lopid

Original Poster
Thanks, TheRealGrogan. It's not so garish with my custom colours now. I didn't notice the outright lack of parsing user customisation files, because apparently I already had `toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets` set to true.

Old 11-28-2019, 02:22 AM   #4
Repetes3fois
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Xubuntu 20.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealGrogan
I can't get my hover gradient, but I can at least override the behaviour by creating a chrome/userContent.css file so I can see and grab my scrollbar again.

Code:
:root{
   scrollbar-color: #BA4A00 #000000;
   scrollbar-width: auto;
}
Based on information here:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...crollbar-color

The first colour value is for the scrollbar ("thumb") and the second is for the scrollbar track. As far as I can tell, scrollbar-width can be thin, auto, or none, with auto being OS defaults.

NOTE: In Firefox 68, they have disabled user customizations by default. Supposedly for "performance" they are no longer parsing userContent.css, userChrome.css, userChrome.xml etc. and you have to enable it in about:config

Toggle this value to True

Code:

Sorry if it's bad form to post to a "Solved" thread - I will repost as a new question if necessary?

I'm now on Firefox 70 with Numix theming, seeing the annoyingly thin scrollbars that are really difficult to grab and manipulate with the laptop touchpad. A different theme, e.g. Raleigh, shows thicker scrollbars.

Can you advise where I should put that "UserContent.css" file to have it picked up by Firefox, please? I'm on Xubuntu 18.04 if it's relevant.

Old 11-28-2019, 04:06 AM   #5
TheRealGrogan

Rep: Reputation: 413Reputation: 413Reputation: 413Reputation: 413Reputation: 413
Hey, no problem. It's not me that objects to that, my opinion is that it's best to keep things in context.

What you have to do, is create a directory in your ~/.mozilla profile. Your profile directory name will be randomly different, but mine is:

Code:
/home/grogan/.mozilla/firefox/30temyds.default/chrome
Create the chrome directory and put your userContent.css file in there.

Note that you may (or may not) have to go to about:config and toggle the following to true for those files to be parsed.

Code:

Last edited by TheRealGrogan; 11-28-2019 at 10:45 AM. Reason: correcting case sensitive spelling

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-28-2019, 05:17 AM   #6
Repetes3fois
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Xubuntu 20.04

@TheRealGrogan: You're a star!

It works beautifully (after I corrected my capitalisation of "userContent.css" ) and now my fat fingers can scroll up and down pages with ease again - and with a much prettier coloured scrollbar as an added extra.

Thanks so much for your help.

Old 11-28-2019, 10:53 AM   #7
TheRealGrogan

Oops, I typed that wrong in my last post too (corrected). It definitely matters on case sensitive filesystems :-)

Old 11-28-2019, 05:39 PM   #8
mlangdn

Distribution: Slackware64-current

Rep: Reputation: 452Reputation: 452Reputation: 452Reputation: 452Reputation: 452
Worked great for me!

Tags
firefox, gtk, scrollbar