LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Red Hat
User Name
Password
Red Hat This forum is for the discussion of Red Hat Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2019, 09:46 AM   #1
paqman
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Filesystem wouldn't mount, but gave no errors

This post is more of a post-fix root cause hunting expedition. The problem was fixed by a reboot. :-D The box in question is a RHEL 7.6 server. Technically Oracle Linux Server 7.6. I have a 1TB disk that I partitioned using fdisk into 3 partitions. 2 of which are getting used as raw Oracle ASM disks, and the other one is a 100GB partition that I wanted mount up as an xfs file system. I ran mkfs on the partition, put it in the fstab, and tried to mount it. No errors. Exit code is zero. But it didn't mount. Mount command does not show it mounted at all. I tried reformatting as ext4, same problem. I was trying to mount it using the UUID, which I checked with blkid and verified was correct. I tried mounting it using just the path to the disk, nothing would fix it.

And so I figured what the heck I'm probably forgetting some command that would probably get run on boot, so I rebooted. And it mounts up just fine.

So the question is what was I missing that a reboot fixed? I can unmount and remount it to my hearts content now with no issues.

And to piggyback on my own post, if anyone happens to know, those two ASM disks that I created don't seem to persist on reboot. Using mknod, I created them in /dev/oracleasm/disks, but when I reboot, they go away. I assume I am missing some oracleasm command or config in a file somewhere. As you can tell, Redhat is not my strong suit. I am an HPUX admin mostly, but hey we all have to work on systems we're not comfy with. Thanks for your time!

Old 06-15-2019, 02:10 AM   #2
mrmazda
LQ Guru

Distribution: openSUSE 24/7; Debian, Knoppix, Mageia, Fedora, others

Rep: Reputation: 2065Reputation: 2065Reputation: 2065Reputation: 2065Reputation: 2065Reputation: 2065Reputation: 2065Reputation: 2065Reputation: 2065Reputation: 2065Reputation: 2065
As a multibooter who does a lot of repartitioning and cloning as part of OS testing and as backup routine, I think this describes what happens to me on irritatingly frequent occasions, particularly when Fedora is involved. Rather than trying to figure out why a silent mount failure occurs, I just reboot and get on with life. If this happens to you again, give partprobe a try. I think the problem is whatever is supposed to is not keeping device names, UUIDs, Labels and symlinks in /dev/disk/ all in sync when partition tables are manipulated. Mount thinks it succeeds whether or not it actually does, or mount succeeds, but the storage device driver and/or kernel don't get the message.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:37 AM   #3
ehartman

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 888Reputation: 888Reputation: 888Reputation: 888Reputation: 888Reputation: 888Reputation: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by paqman View Post
And to piggyback on my own post, if anyone happens to know, those two ASM disks that I created don't seem to persist on reboot.
/dev is REcreated at every reboot (by udev), so any user-created device files are lost AT those reboots.
You should create extra rules for them in the /etc/udev/rules.d directory for udev to know that they should be created again.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:22 AM   #4
paqman
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
As a multibooter who does a lot of repartitioning and cloning as part of OS testing and as backup routine, I think this describes what happens to me on irritatingly frequent occasions, particularly when Fedora is involved. Rather than trying to figure out why a silent mount failure occurs, I just reboot and get on with life. If this happens to you again, give partprobe a try. I think the problem is whatever is supposed to is not keeping device names, UUIDs, Labels and symlinks in /dev/disk/ all in sync when partition tables are manipulated. Mount thinks it succeeds whether or not it actually does, or mount succeeds, but the storage device driver and/or kernel don't get the message.
Yeah I suspect the same thing, no real answer. Good to know I'm not alone in this lol. Thanks for your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehartman
/dev is REcreated at every reboot (by udev), so any user-created device files are lost AT those reboots.
You should create extra rules for them in the /etc/udev/rules.d directory for udev to know that they should be created again.
Ah thank you! I actually suspected it could be the udev rules, but hadn't looked into it yet. Thanks!