LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-05-2019, 01:20 PM   #1
Didier Spaier
LQ Addict

Distribution: Slint64-15.0

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
[Help wanted] Test a speaking Slint installer in a mini-ISO

Hello,

The most recent Slint installer can speak, as the previous one, but also probe the sound cards to find one that works to output the speech there.

Problem is, this works here both in qemu and on bare metal (my laptop), but I have had reports of "no sound at all in the installer", especially on machines with several sound outputs, one of them being HDMI.

I am at a loss finding why, so I need help from people knowledgeable about sound in Linux. The installer has a kernel 4.19.24 and associated modules and alsa 1.1.8 including all utilities.

The testing mini ISO is small (95M) as it doesn't ship any package to be installed, also testing doesn't need to modify installed systems.

If you are eager to try it, just read the instructions here:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/sli...o/TESTING.mini

If the installer doesn't speak but sound in your installed Slackware works after having tuned the sound configuration, please provide the modified configuration files. This stands aslo for people using "alsa-only" on Slackware current as the Slint installer does not include PulseAudio.

Thanks in advance,

EDIT 7 March 2018 0h28 UTC: following "no sound" reports from testers with HDA Intel and two output (HDMI + PCI) I have uploaded a new mini ISO and edited accordingly the aforementioned document.

Last edited by Didier Spaier; 03-06-2019 at 05:28 PM. Reason: EDIT added.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:24 AM   #2
Didier Spaier
LQ Addict

Distribution: Slint64-15.0

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hello,

Following previous reports from testers I have again uploaded a new ISO and edited accordingly the aforementioned document.

I have then had "speech now works" reports from two three of these testers with this new ISO, thus have marked this thread as "Solved".

Best,

Last edited by Didier Spaier; 03-07-2019 at 04:11 PM.