LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-10-2019, 11:11 AM   #1
hortageno

Distribution: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Rep: Reputation: 67
different icons for different wired connections possible?

Hi all,

is there a way to have different icons for different WIRED network connections in the taskbar? I have set up 2 wired network connections in network-manager and can switch between them, but it's not visible to me to which network I am connected to without clicking on the network manager symbol.

If it's not possible with the network manager, is there another software available which can indicate in the notification area or somewhere else, which network is active (e.g. based on whether a certain host is reachable or not)?

I'm running XUbuntu 18.04 on that machine.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:07 PM   #2
BW-userx
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware (15 current), Slack15, Ubuntu studio, MX Linux, FreeBSD 13.1, WIn10

Rep: Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242Reputation: 2242
oh I think that would take a rewrite of network manager to get it to show different colours for which provider/connection you are using. I do not use cat5 I got wifi, but with wire would you not have a different IP for each one, if yes, then depending on which IP is active a colour could be used to indicate this.

that uses XFCE4 yes? they have a network plugin that you have to tell what connection you're using, and gives an option to change colour for rx and tx that you might be able to put to use, maybe using two of them one for each with a different colour scheme for each. You'd see the bar(s) moving when traffic is there letting you know which one you're on?

Last edited by BW-userx; 01-10-2019 at 01:08 PM.