LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2018, 09:10 AM   #1
badbetty

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
cannot add any addons/extensions to Firefox 60.4.0esr (64-bit)

Hello Folks

In addtion to here, I've posted this issue to the Mozilla Community Forums, but so far no resolution.

Since updating to latest FF [using slackpkg] on Slackware 14.2 (64bit), I am unable to load any extensions/addons. Visiting and selecting an addon (UBlock Origin is my immediate requirement) from the addons webpage, clicking install, then clicking 'add' on the permissions popup does nothing. In the about:addons page, the addon is listed but shown as 'downloading' althought the progress box never moves ot completes and nor does the addon install therfore. Quitting FF just deletes the entry.

There is an option in about:addons, to install from file. I have tried that and the situation is the same.

There is also an 'load temporary' in 'debug' addons screen in FF. This works, but as it is temporary, when the debugging process is temrinated or FF closed, everything is cleared out.

At this moment, I have no idea what is going on or why the addons are not loading and I thought I would ask here to see if anyone can offer some insight (or fix) whilst I am waiting on the Mozilla Community response ?

Thank you.
Habs

Old 12-30-2018, 09:20 AM   #2
willysr

Distribution: Slackware-Current

Rep: Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784
have you tried to remove your profile and start from scratch?

Old 12-30-2018, 09:28 AM   #3
badbetty

Original Poster
@willysr: yes, cleared out everything..started from new as such. Nothing bespoke set.

Here is an output from the 'debug' in about:addons...

"Content Security Policy: The page’s settings blocked the loading of a resource at self (“script-src”). Source: window.__LOADABLE_REQUIRED_CHUNKS__ = [].... firefox:15
Content Security Policy: The page’s settings blocked the loading of a resource at self (“style-src”). firefox:1
this._recipeManager is null LoginManagerParent.jsm:84
Error: install cancelled (unknown)
Content Security Policy: Directive ‘child-src’ has been deprecated. Please use directive ‘worker-src’ to control workers, or directive ‘frame-src’ to control frames respectively. (unknown)
Content Security Policy: Couldn’t process unknown directive ‘prefetch-src’ (unknown)
Ping failure with error: TypeError: NetworkError when attempting to fetch resource. PingCentre.jsm:176
Ping failure with error: TypeError: NetworkError when attempting to fetch resource. PingCentre.jsm:176
TypeError: Response has unsupported MIME type hntrie.js:522:9"

It doesnt seem to matter what addon I try (that I am interested in) non will install on this lates updated version of FF.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:26 PM   #4
badbetty

Original Poster
update:

I have managed to get it to work.

Starting [again] from a clean FF install, go to 'about:addons'.

Search for an addon (for me this was Ublock Origin initially).

CLick to install the addon as listed on the mozilla webpage.

The critical bit is when the 'permissions' popup is displayed. I have been obviously moving the mouse over the 'add' button on the popup to accept the permissions. This way the situation I reported persists - in that no addon is installed...the whole process just dies and does nothing. By chance I noticed that if I clicked on the little 'jigsaw piece' icon next to the address bar, it highlighted the 'cancel' button. Using the 'tab' key moved the highlight to the 'add' button and then pressing the 'enter key' installed it ! It appears that the 'add' popup button is not responding to a mouse click (at least for me), but will respond to the enter key.

That is a work around, as I have no idea why the mouse click does not work.

I will close this off as 'sorted by workaround'.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:39 PM   #5
abga

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929
Have you upgraded Firefox from an older version? Just asking because it looks like some config files & formats have changed with Firefox 60 and maybe it's better to start clean, that's backup your favorites&bookmarks, uninstall Firefox (manually remove any leftovers - like profile) and install fresh.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...f=38&t=3039141
This might resolve also your other reported issue:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ge-4175645166/

Old 12-30-2018, 04:52 PM   #6
badbetty

Original Poster
@abga, thanks for the reply... as mentioned up the thread, clean install etc. The other problem you linked (that I have) is unrelated, but in any case, it is not fixed by a clean install either; the responder to that thread suggested it's possibly just an info msg and 'not to worry'.

The workaround I describe provides a 'solution'.

All the best to all for seeing in the new year btw.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:33 PM   #7
abga

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929
Sorry to hear that a clean FF install didn't help, missed your statement: "Starting [again] from a clean FF install"
I do remember that I had myself some issues with my profile & addons when I first upgraded to FF 60 (Quantum) and I had to start clean.

Best wishes for a wonderful 2019!

Old 10-27-2021, 09:43 PM   #8
thirdm

Distribution: Slackware, NetBSD, Debian, 9front

Old thread, but thank you for figuring it out. I have been having the exact same problem both on Slackware 14.2 with 68.12.0esr and on NetBSD 9-stable with 91.0.2. Using the keyboard as you describe does the trick. I never would have thought to try that.

Seems like the bug hasn't gone anywhere. Wonder if it's interaction with the window manager (twm in my case).