LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-16-2018, 12:05 AM   #31
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbea View Post
This is after several friendly requests, suggestions and examples on how it can be improved, mostly via e-mail. About 75% of these were outright ignored and users still stumble over these relatively silly things. Personally if I did this with any of my own scripts I would deserve the flack and I would hope someone would spend the time to explain this to me or people using my script.
Users stumble because they didn't read the READMEs, not because his script was buggy. And suggesting things several times gets to be nagging. You've obviously spent a lot of time "explaining" this to him and he hasn't changed, so why continue to beat the dead horse?

Quote:
I'm not sure what a full LibreOffice is supposed to be, is it a build where it uses largely default options from their configure script? In which case my script just does that if you ignore all the extra options and just run ./libreoffice.SlackBuild.
It was in what I quoted, and I'll repeat it here: "fully functional LibreOffice, most optional features are included by default". I don't know LibreOffice well enough to determine what that "most" is categorized by, but looking at ./configure --help, the default is to build libreoffice with java, not without (which is what the SlackBuild script does, but offers an option to disable it).

Code:
  --with-java=<java command>
                          Specify the name of the Java interpreter command.
                          Typically "java" which is the default. To build
                          without support for Java components, applets,
                          accessibility or the XML filters written in Java,
                          use --without-java or --with-java=no.
Quote:
LibreOffice is a complex beast with lot of options, I'm not sure what your point is? I often try to expose interesting options in my own scripts at SBo.
But are all 80+ of those options "interesting"? While many programs allow in-depth configuration like this, most maintainers don't offer it because it isn't worth it... both to them and the majority of the users using it. If a user really needs to disable a specific unlikely function of the program, they can edit the script and add or remove a ./configure option, but there usually isn't very many use cases where both a maintainer and user benefit from a mountain of passable options in a SlackBuild script.

Quote:
Sometime in 2015 where the only choices for LibreOffice on Slackware was the binary repackage at SBo and Alien Bob's script and packages I realized that while neither is wrong, they just didn't fit my specific use case so I spent a lot of effort making my own script and then adding most of the many optional dependencies to SBo. I then offered my script, but it was rejected because SBo did not need more than one libreoffice script. I accepted this and moved on maintaining it in my own repo. Give or take several months later the LibreOffice (From source) script was added to SBo and without anyone ever asking if I was still interested. While that was kind of lame I was happy that someone else was doing it and offered friendly advice on how to do it better.
It can be unfortunate when you request something on SBo and nobody takes you up on it and then someone else just submits it and theirs is accepted. I'm sure that's happened to more than just me and you. However, that's just the world. It doesn't give you permission to constantly berate that maintainers work.

Quote:
Now around 3 years later it still suffers from many of the same problems it did back then and users still stumble on silly things like avahi or JDK. Not to mention all my effort maintaining the optional dependencies is still mostly wasted...
This is where you are just wrong and uninformed. The script that this post was created about is libreoffice, which is the repackaged rpm. This does require both jdk (which you already stated above) and avahi (found on this post). These two are required dependencies unless you're willing to let users run into errors because of missing dependencies. With this package being a simple repackaging, you're stuck with the dependencies from upstream.

On the compiled version, they are both optional, however, the maintainer for LibreOffice (the compiled version) chose to make jdk required which is the default for libreoffice (however, he offers a flag to disable java support).

Quote:
Edit: Also, its worth pointing out almost all other maintainers actually implement improvements from other people or even come up with something better. There would be nothing to complain about if these problems were just fixed instead of being dragged out like this...
I've had maintainers implement some of my suggestions and reject others, but I left it at that. There's no reason to consistently try and call them out... especially in cases like this when the problems would be non-existent if people read the READMEs for the programs they intend to install.

Quote:
LibreOffice upstream enables JDK by default and has avahi disabled, my own script disables JDK by default because I really am not interested in using or supporting java, but no offense to people who want that. The point remains, LibreOffice can be fully functional without it, much of the functionality has since been rewritten as python3.
Let me clarify for you... the defaults for compiling are to enable JDK and disable avahi, but whoever provided the pre-compiled RPM used by Willy in his SlackBuild, both JDK and avahi are enabled (not sure if that is one of the LibreOffice developers or if they use 3rd-party packagers for that). Willy can't make up magical dependency errors (same link as above, but it seems right to link it again).

In regards to the LibreOffice SlackBuild with JDK and avahi, it uses the same defaults as running ./configure, with JDK being enabled and avahi disabled. But you can disable JDK by passing JAVA=no as documented in #5 of the README and it will pick up avahi automatically if it is installed.

Make sure you argue about the correct version of SBo script. avahi is *only* listed as an optional dependency on the compiled version, and it is picked up automatically if it is installed. It is listed as a required dependency for the pre-compiled version as it is built into the software.

Quote:
I think people who just want a working libreoffice without the effort in compiling it should just use Alien Bob's packages, for Slackware its the best supported option with a reliable track record.
For this, we both agree that Eric's is a great package to suggest to people.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:20 AM   #32
orbea

Distribution: Slackware64-current

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmadrigal View Post
Users stumble because they didn't read the READMEs, not because his script was buggy. And suggesting things several times gets to be nagging. You've obviously spent a lot of time "explaining" this to him and he hasn't changed, so why continue to beat the dead horse?
Its buggy because its missing around two dozen available system dependencies (LibreOffice will provide its own versions which may not be ideal or even working in Slackware) and has misleading dependencies. There are several other smaller issues, but its not worth going into them unless they are going to be actually fixed. Most users look at the REQUIRES before they look at the README and with something complex like LibreOffice its easy to overlook a few lines in the README.

Quote:
It was in what I quoted, and I'll repeat it here: "fully functional LibreOffice, most optional features are included by default". I don't know LibreOffice well enough to determine what that "most" is categorized by, but looking at ./configure --help, the default is to build libreoffice with java, not without (which is what the SlackBuild script does, but offers an option to disable it).

Code:
  --with-java=<java command>
                          Specify the name of the Java interpreter command.
                          Typically "java" which is the default. To build
                          without support for Java components, applets,
                          accessibility or the XML filters written in Java,
                          use --without-java or --with-java=no.
By that definition I don't think anyone includes a full LibreOffice installation including upstream. There are a lot of optional features which are not default. As for java its easy to determine in the script if the user has configured it and enable it.

Code:
if [ "${JAVA_HOME:-}" ] && [ "${JAVA:-1}" = 1 ]; then
  lib="${lib} --with-jdk-home=\"\$JAVA_HOME\""
else
  lib="${lib} --without-java"
fi
While I can't say I test the builds with java, these are the same options as used in Alien Bob's script and presumably work.

Quote:
But are all 80+ of those options "interesting"? While many programs allow in-depth configuration like this, most maintainers don't offer it because it isn't worth it... both to them and the majority of the users using it. If a user really needs to disable a specific unlikely function of the program, they can edit the script and add or remove a ./configure option, but there usually isn't very many use cases where both a maintainer and user benefit from a mountain of passable options in a SlackBuild script.
Most programs don't even come close to the same level of configuration as LibreOffice and while not all the options are interesting to me, who am I to say who would be using my script or why? My own goal since its not an SBo script was to expose many features and make it possible to roll a personalized LibreOffice build, the result was more that its good at finding LibreOffice bugs...

Quote:
It can be unfortunate when you request something on SBo and nobody takes you up on it and then someone else just submits it and theirs is accepted. I'm sure that's happened to more than just me and you. However, that's just the world. It doesn't give you permission to constantly berate that maintainers work.
This is not at all what happened, I was rejected for apparently erroneous reasons and continued to maintain the LibreOffice dependencies despite that (Which I still do). If I was never rejected for incorrect reasoning then its very plausible my script would be on SBo now, but this is not about a pissing match at all (At least to me). I posted only because uninformed users deserve to know when they are playing with a land mine and that there are better choices like Alien Bob's packages out there.

Quote:
This is where you are just wrong and uninformed. The script that this post was created about is libreoffice, which is the repackaged rpm. This does require both jdk (which you already stated above) and avahi (found on this post). These two are required dependencies unless you're willing to let users run into errors because of missing dependencies. With this package being a simple repackaging, you're stuck with the dependencies from upstream.
I thought the OP tried both scripts? You are right though, I should of looked at willsyr's script again, last time I did only JDK was a dependency. Whoever built it must of used "--enable-avahi". Additionally LibreOffice doesn't include avahi in their externals which they do for most of their dependencies including things like FireBird and CoinMP.

Quote:
I've had maintainers implement some of my suggestions and reject others, but I left it at that. There's no reason to consistently try and call them out... especially in cases like this when the problems would be non-existent if people read the READMEs for the programs they intend to install.
As long as the issues remain unfixed and users are running into them there is lot of reason to point out the problems. This is a technical topic, not an emotional one. Bluntly speaking, this is not my dead horse, I just have spent a lot of time working with LibreOffice and find it painful when users are not getting the experience they should.

Last edited by orbea; 11-16-2018 at 08:24 AM.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:43 AM   #33
orbea

Distribution: Slackware64-current

Now that I am looking at LibreOffice script again closer I can see most of the optional dependencies are actually being used now, another thing I should of looked at again instead of assuming the last discussion was still current or that the README would document them.

Last edited by orbea; 11-16-2018 at 08:46 AM.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:10 AM   #34
san2ban

Distribution: Slackware14.2-64bit on one HDD, Slackware64-current on anotherHDD, VoidLinux on Libreboot laptop

Original Poster
Installed libreoffice from Alien's packages

Thanks to all who guided me