LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-10-2018, 01:25 PM   #1
griffey

Distribution: RHEL 4/5/6 and Fedora

Rep: Reputation: 15
Hide What I Think Are GRUB Error Messages?

Good afternoon folks.

We have a relatively new Ubuntu 18.04.1 installation on a server. It used to boot up into GNOME just fine and display a screen asking for a username, etc.

Lately, though, after showing the DELL logo for a second, the screen turns that purple Ubuntu color for a few seconds, then turns black and says at the top:

"WARNING: failed to connect to lvmetad. falling back to device scanning.
Gave up waiting for suspend/resume device
/dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root: recovering journal
/dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root: clean, 620041/122011648 files, 17761141/488031232 blocks"

As a novice Ubuntu user (I'm a RHEL/CentOS admin) I thought this was all one related error message and Googled to try to get rid of it.

I got rid of the first line by editing /etc/lvm/lvm.conf and changing use_lvmetad= from 1 to 0 (and doing a few more things).

Then it still showed the "Gave up waiting for suspend...."

I got rid of that line by editing /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d and deleting the line that was in there and adding "RESUME=none".

Now I'm still getting just the line

/dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root: clean, 620041/122011648 files, 17761141/488031232 blocks

Are these error messages being spit out by GRUB, and how do I make this last one go away and get this thing to behave like normal?

I tried to edit /etc/default/grub and adding "loglevel=0" to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT parameters and then running "update-grub" but that didn't help the matter.

Again, I apologize for not knowing enough of Ubuntu to understand what is going on here, and how to fix it.

Sorry for the lengthy post. Thanks in advance for any advice/help!

Mike

Old 09-11-2018, 03:27 PM   #2
griffey

Distribution: RHEL 4/5/6 and Fedora

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
I have resolved this issue. I used the following instructions:

"I managed to resolve this for my machines by adjusting the grub configuration like so:

In /etc/default/grub, change:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nomodeset" Then add this line:

GRUB_TERMINAL_INPUT="console serial" Run sudo update-grub and reboot for the changes to take effect."

https://askubuntu.com/questions/7615...tallation?rq=1

Thanks.

Mike