LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-11-2018, 11:41 PM   #31
linuxtinker

Distribution: Slackware 64 -Current

Rep: Reputation: 99

You could grab elilo from current its been fixed there..

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:09 PM   #32
mrapathy

Distribution: Slackware,Debian

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 66
grabbing elilo package from current fixed it I can now boot custom kernel's bigger than 8mb.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:07 PM   #33
Didier Spaier
LQ Addict

Distribution: Slint64-15.0

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by laprjns View Post
I believe grub uses UUID instead of the kernel name for device naming.
At least this is the default when using grub, yes. You can change it in /etc/default grub if you want (but why would you?)

Quote:
I have seen several problems on multiboot system when I don't use persistent device names (i.e UUID) in my elilo.conf file.
This hit a few minutes ago: adding a drive in a VM changed the devices naming and bingo!
Code:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: having  unable to mount rootfs on unknown-block(8,66)
Quote:
One of my hopes for Slackware 15 is that they go to persistent device naming in both eliloconfig and fstab.
Of course. I will propose a way to do that, using lsblk as in EFI3M.

PS Even more fun

The entry for Slint in the EFI3M boot menu still starts Slint, But... As /dev/sda2 is mounted on / in /etc/fstab, when it switches to / I get the desktop from Solus, whose / is now on the (newly named) /dev/sda2! It took me a few seconds to realize what happened...

Last edited by Didier Spaier; 07-12-2018 at 02:32 PM.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:24 AM   #34
laprjns

Distribution: SalixOS

Rep: Reputation: 108Reputation: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier Spaier View Post
The entry for Slint in the EFI3M boot menu still starts Slint, But... As /dev/sda2 is mounted on / in /etc/fstab, when it switches to / I get the desktop from Solus, whose / is now on the (newly named) /dev/sda2! It took me a few seconds to realize what happened...
Yup, this has happen to me, a couple of times after Window 10 Creators Update. Seems that they like to, on occasion, add a partition directly after the main windows partition during Creator updates. This screws up the partition order downstream of the new partition and will causing mounting issues with them if you don't have persistent device naming. BTW I don't see this as a MS issue, but rather an issue with not using persistent device name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier Spaier View Post
I will propose a way to do that, using lsblk as in EFI3M.

PS Even more fun
I must confess that I knew that you would read my reply and hoped that you would take up the cause. Any chance that eliloconfig can be changed to ask before overwriting the elilo.conf file?

Old 07-13-2018, 04:44 AM   #35
Didier Spaier
LQ Addict

Distribution: Slint64-15.0

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by laprjns View Post
Yup, this has happen to me, a couple of times after Window 10 Creators Update. Seems that they like to, on occasion, add a partition directly after the main windows partition during Creator updates. This screws up the partition order downstream of the new partition and will causing mounting issues with them if you don't have persistent device naming. BTW I don't see this as a MS issue, but rather an issue with not using persistent device name.

I must confess that I knew that you would read my reply and hoped that you would take up the cause. Any chance that eliloconfig can be changed to ask before overwriting the elilo.conf file?
I am now listing all the enhancements I will consider for the Slint installer and related scripts, among which eliloconfig (and also liloconfig, by the way). I could then post this list of possible enhancements as an RFC in this forum, to gather opinions, questions and suggestions from Slackware users, then propose patches for the Slackware installer. This would include a few modifications already made in the Slint installer, like checking that the user follows the installation steps listed in the setup script in a consistent order. What do you think?

Last edited by Didier Spaier; 07-13-2018 at 06:09 AM. Reason: First sentence modified to explicitly mention eliloconfig and liloconfig.

1 members found this post helpful.