LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-20-2018, 09:05 AM   #1
cyberpixel
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Question How can I examine boot messages?

I just finished installing Slackware 14.2. I would like to know how after boot, I can examine all the messages from the kernel at boot, to find out what I have to fix to make sure I have a properly running Slackware Install. Where do I find this and is there anything else I might want to look at to make sure my system install is good?

Old 05-20-2018, 10:48 AM   #2
abga

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929
Try dmesg
http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/dmesg.1.html
http://www.linfo.org/dmesg.html

The /var/log/ folder contains the dmesg log file together with other useful system related log files, like messages & syslog, their content being populated by syslogd, which in turn is configured in /etc/syslog.conf

Old 05-20-2018, 11:01 AM   #3
upnort

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161
In Slackware there is no default /var/log/boot.log.

The primary Slackware location for system logs are /var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog. Logging related to the kernel also are found in /var/log/dmesg, which provides information before the syslog daemon starts. The /var/log/dmesg log is a snapshot only (refer to /etc/rc.d/rc.M). To view the dmesg contents at any time just run the dmesg command. The output will contain a running output beyond the snapshot log.

Additional granularity is possible by editing /etc/syslog.conf. For example,

Code:
# Kernel messages
kern.*             -/var/log/kernel
When configuring additional logs remember to edit /etc/logrotate.d for any respective log.

I hope that helps.

1 members found this post helpful.