LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-21-2018, 11:46 PM   #1
bamunds

Distribution: Slackware64-14.2-Multilib XDM/FVWM3

Rep: Reputation: 260Reputation: 260Reputation: 260
qt4 alienbob qt5 coexist and SBo package build issue with smplayer?

I'd like some sleuthing advice on what maybe wrong with my environment for using qt5 rather than qt4 for building SBo packages which call for QT5. When I attempt to use QT5 as a flag the build always fail. The other note is that VLC 3.0 runs without issues and that is why QT5 was installed, both from alienbob.

For example, I've attempted a couple of times to build smplayer with the option USE_QT5=yes and it fails. Building without the option always succeeds. The first error was that it could not find qmake. The flag changes the build script to use qmake-qt5. System had no qmake-qt5 so I created a symlink in /usr/bin to /usr/lib64/qt5/bin/qmake. Then the build proceeded, however new errors occur where it can't find -lQtWidgets and others. Well that file doesn't exist but in /usr/lib64/qt5 there is a libQtWidgets. Looked like a path or env issue. So I check
Code:
 # qmake -v
QMake version 2.01a
Using Qt version 4.8.7 in /usr/lib64/qt/lib
# qmake-qt5 -v
QMake version 3.0
Using Qt version 5.7.1 in /usr/lib64
Something doesn't look right about the qt5 path. Attempting to set it with qmake-qt5 -set /usr/lib64/qt5/lib fails to affect the resulting check. Checking /etc/profile.d/qt5.sh it does have the correct paths.

What needs to be done to use qt5 rather than qt4 when building SBO packages? Or how to fix the path of the qt4 libraries?

Last edited by bamunds; 03-22-2018 at 11:00 AM. Reason: spelling corrections

Old 03-22-2018, 05:57 AM   #2
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamunds View Post
System had no qmake-qt5 so I created a symlink in /usr/bin to /usr/lib64/qt5/bin/qmake.
If you had to do that, then you either did not install my qt5 package (which creates this symlink and others for you) or you messed up the package installation. I assume the latter since your compilations also have issues finding the Qt5 libraries.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:44 AM   #3
bamunds

Original Poster
@alienbob Thank you! I thought it odd that the symlink was missing. Still, on your advice, issued "slackpkg remove qt5" this morning did remove the symlink, then "slackpkg install qt5" did create the symlink. And after rerunning the "sboinstall smplayer" and setting build option to USE_QT5=yes, the package was correctly built, installed. BUT IT DOES NOT EXECUTE after logging out and back-in. I get the window frame but no interface.

Executing from terminal the following is displayed.
Code:
bash-4.3$ smplayer
Debug: global_init
Debug: global_init: config file: '/home/brian/.config/smplayer/smplayer.ini'
Debug: Preferences::load
Debug: AssStyles::load
Debug: Preferences::load: config_version: 5, CURRENT_CONFIG_VERSION: 5
Debug: Translator::loadCatalog: can't load qt_en_US from /usr/share/smplayer/translations
Debug: Translator::loadCatalog: can't load qt_en_US from /usr/share/qt5/translations
Debug: Translator::loadCatalog: can't load qtbase_en_US from /usr/share/smplayer/translations
Debug: Translator::loadCatalog: can't load qtbase_en_US from /usr/share/qt5/translations
Debug: Translator::loadCatalog: can't load smplayer_en_US from /usr/share/smplayer/translations
This is SMPlayer v. 18.2.2 (revision 8937) running on Linux
Debug: This is SMPlayer v. 18.2.2 (revision 8937) running on Linux
Debug: Compiled with Qt v. 5.7.1, using 5.7.1
Debug:  * application path: "/usr/bin"
Debug:  * data path: "/usr/share/smplayer"
Debug:  * translation path: "/usr/share/smplayer/translations"
Debug:  * doc path: "/usr/doc/smplayer-18.2.2/"
Debug:  * themes path: "/usr/share/smplayer/themes"
Debug:  * shortcuts path: "/usr/share/smplayer/shortcuts"
Debug:  * config path: "/home/brian/.config/smplayer"
Debug:  * ini path: "/home/brian/.config/smplayer"
Debug:  * file for subtitles' styles: "/home/brian/.config/smplayer/styles.ass"
Debug:  * current path: "/home/brian"
Debug: main: hdpi_config_path: "/home/brian/.config/smplayer"
Debug: SMPlayer::processArgs: arguments: 1
Debug: SMPlayer::processArgs: 0 = smplayer
Debug: SMPlayer::processArgs: files_to_play: count: 0
Slackpkg+ is used for all slackware, patches, multilib, alienbob, and restricted repository package installations. I prefer and use those repositories for packages first before SBo. After first error occurred in building smplayer, "slackpkg reinstall qt5" was issued, but the symlink was not created. I looked for similar qt5 issues and from other LQ posts about QT5 environment paths it looked like the QT5 paths on my system were causing the failures. These are the current paths. Although smplayer built properly this morning, the qt5 paths still seem odd compared to qt4. Are these paths correct? Are the other environment variables to check?

Code:
# qmake-qt5 -v
QMake version 3.0
# qmake -v
QMake version 2.01a
Thanks again.

Last edited by bamunds; 03-22-2018 at 11:00 AM. Reason: added output of starting smplayer from terminal

Old 03-22-2018, 12:33 PM   #4
atelszewski

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hi,

As the maintainer of smplayer, I can tell it works fine with qt5.
But, I'm using qt5 from SBo, not alien's.

As a side note, I remember having some issues with smplayer not displaying properly the UI.
Unfortunately, I can't remember what was it about (I guess something related to firejail, but can't say for sure now).

On my machine:
Code:
$ qmake-qt5 -v
QMake version 3.0
$ qmake -v    
QMake version 2.01a
--
Best regards,
Andrzej Telszewski

Last edited by atelszewski; 03-22-2018 at 12:35 PM.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:50 PM   #5
bamunds

Original Poster
@atelszewski Thank you for confirming your qt versions. Could you also show me the following "env | grep qt" so I can compare to mine, Thanks
Code:
bash-4.3$ env | grep qt
CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/lib64/qt/include
QT5DIR=/usr/lib64/qt5
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/lib64/java/bin:/usr/lib64/java/jre/bin:/usr/lib64/kde4/libexec:/usr/lib64/qt/bin:/usr/lib64/qt5/bin:/usr/share/texmf/bin
QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct
QT4DIR=/usr/lib64/qt
bash-4.3$
Also, can you give me a clue as to addressing the Debug Translator "can't load" error's in post 3 above? Those files do not exist in the location that smplayer is looking.

This PC is behind a hardware firewall so I don't run a firewall on the PC itself. I can't imagine Firejail would have any impact.
AlienBob's VLC 3.0 and it's "x" version function without issue.

Thanking of other package upgrades (although none with qt4>qt5) in the past I decided to rename the current ~/.config/smplayer as smplayer.old and restart smplayer. BINGO, the interface is now displaying. Then to maintain my favorites and radio lists I only had to move their m3u8 files over to the new config file and all is well again.

In conclusion: It appears first that some previous package install had corrupted the QT5 installation, so much that a remove and install were required, not simply a slackpkg reinstall. Second to then get the new QT5 version of smplayer to function, one must rename/delete/archive the .config/smplayer/{files} and allow the QT5 version to re-create those files. NOTE if you have saved favorites for radio/internet/tv you can save time by copying the .m3u8 files to the newly created folder.

HTH others.

Last edited by bamunds; 03-22-2018 at 02:02 PM. Reason: corrected with question for help about Debug errors

Old 03-22-2018, 02:02 PM   #6
atelszewski

Hi,

Quote:
This PC is behind a hardware firewall so I don't run a firewall on the PC itself. I can't imagine Firejail would have any impact.
Just a note: firejail isn't a firewall.

Code:
$ env | grep qt
CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/lib64/qt/include:/usr/lib64/qt/include:/usr/lib64/qt/include
QT5DIR=/usr/lib64/qt5
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/lib64/kde4/libexec:/usr/lib64/libreoffice/program:/usr/lib64/openjdk/bin:/usr/lib64/openjdk/jre/bin:/usr/lib64/qt/bin:/usr/lib64/qt5/bin:/opt/scilab/bin:/usr/share/texmf/bin
QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct
QT4DIR=/usr/lib64/qt
--
Best regards,
Andrzej Telszewski

Old 03-22-2018, 02:05 PM   #7
bamunds

Original Poster
@atelszewski Thank you for replying so quickly. I was modifying my previous post to ask about the error's in the Debug output. Do you have any insight there also? Under options the interface is set to use "System default". Cheers.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:52 PM   #8
atelszewski

Hi,

Quote:
I was modifying my previous post to ask about the error's in the Debug output. Do you have any insight there also?
Not much ;-)

I see those errors too, but since I don't observe anything obscure, I'm not worried.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Telszewski