LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-05-2017, 12:56 PM   #1
average_user

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 220Reputation: 220Reputation: 220
kdeconnectd: only first letter of Android speech-to-text output is shown on the screen

I broke my arm and I'm looking for a reliable way to enter text by speech. I found this method https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/314824/72304 interesting so I decided to give it a try. I installed KDE Connect on my Android 7.0 phone, ran kdeconnectd on Slackware without any arguments and was able to pair both devices. I can now move cursor and enter text into Slackware programs from Android. However, speech-to-text doesn't really work - only first letter of Android speech-to-text output is shown on the screen on Slackware. For example, when I say 'one two three' to my phone I only get 'o' on Slackware. After a few seconds I say a few more words and I just see a cursor moving by a width of a single letter on Slackware but not letters. I tried several different programs on Slackware - uxterm, Firefox, kate, results are identical. I tried to play around with kdeconnectd options but to no avail. I tried to harness Wireshark but it seems that kdeconnectd encrypts data. I can reproduce this issue on -current.

Something tells me that it's XIM-related issue because I can see the whole output from Android speech-to-text with kdeconnectd on Ubuntu. Both Ubuntu and Slackware use kdeconnectd 0.8.

Can you reproduce the problem? Any hints?

Last edited by average_user; 12-05-2017 at 01:00 PM.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:12 PM   #2
average_user

Original Poster
Anyone?

Old 12-08-2017, 12:33 PM   #3
average_user

Original Poster
Fixed by upgrading to KDE 5 using packages provided by alien here https://alien.slackbook.org/ktown/current/5/

Old 12-08-2017, 12:53 PM   #4
gmgf

Rep: Reputation: 998Reputation: 998Reputation: 998Reputation: 998Reputation: 998Reputation: 998Reputation: 998Reputation: 998
yes, it work fine on plasma5