LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-27-2017, 02:55 AM   #1
joboy

Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, Puppy, Mint

Rep: Reputation: 7
Touch screen support

Hi there,

I am purchasing a convertible notebook and going to use it with Linux Mint Debian, before I make the purchase I need to test if touch screen is supported on that model, I don't have a preference of model in mind, and will test it with Mint USB boot to see how it works. I don't know if the standard installation of LMDE covers touch screen support, so what do I need to do and how to pre-config for touch screen support, any comment ?

Old 10-27-2017, 07:54 PM   #2
frankbell
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu MATE, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with

Rep: Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137
Touch screen support is in the Linux kernel and has been for a long-long time. Unless the computer is using some new variant of touch screen technology, it should be supported.

Here's an article from the Debian Wiki: https://boundarydevices.com/debian-i...touch-support/

I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre Graphics Tablet about seven years old and the touchscreen has worked flawlessly with every distro I've had on it.

Old 10-28-2017, 12:17 AM   #3
joboy

Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, Puppy, Mint

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 7
That's great, I want to replace my Android tablet with something more powerful for every day carry use, I did have a low end HP tablet notebook few years back but the touch screen didn't work well, I forgot which distro I had on it most likely Ubuntu I'm not sure, the alignment was off and did not follow when the screen folded, handwriting input need add-on app and didn't work well even with English input, so I dropped the idea of having a tablet。Now tons of low cost tablet notebook flooding the market, I am tempted to give it another try !