LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-25-2017, 03:56 PM   #1
un1x

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Minimal ubuntu + plasma 5 setup...

This is proving to be my favorite combination right now. Latest ubuntu release + a pretty-up-to-date plasma, minimal setup.

Start with an ubuntu mini.iso or server image (need server image for UEFI machines).

After install is complete, run sudo apt install xorg sddm plasma-desktop konsole , reboot, and you should automatically be brought to sddm to login to plasma. Then just open konsole and start adding any other programs you want (dolphin, ark, kate, etc).

Working like a charm!

https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/6vsjja/minimal_ubuntu_plasma_5_setup/

Old 10-25-2017, 10:18 PM   #2
Mill J

Distribution: Mint, Void, MX, Haiku, PMOS, Plasma Mobile, and many others

Rep: Reputation: 542Reputation: 542Reputation: 542Reputation: 542Reputation: 542Reputation: 542
Minimal Linux is the way to go. It makes it so much easier to manage dependencies. So much faster too.

Installing Kde seems counterproductive, but I guess distros like Slax do fine with it... It's just hard to beat you own custom de. I like openbox with tint2 and nitrogen, talk about streamlined speed. I also like jwm the default for puppy Linux. Sure Cinnamon, gnome, etc are nice but that's like 200+ mb sitting on your ram.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:50 AM   #3
un1x

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
^

absolutly right Sir ! that's the way ! !

Quote:
Minimal Linux