LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2017, 12:01 PM   #1
mr vickers
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Whatsapp and pidgin help plaese.

Hi all, I'm trying to setup whatsapp on pidgin but don't know what the username and password I should type in. I have the code from setting up Whatspp but unsure if that's the password or not. Any help please.

Thanks

Old 10-14-2017, 05:27 AM   #2
dedec0

Rep: Reputation: 51
Arrow

That is good news! I did not know that Whatsapp (WA) in Pidgin (or any other desktop computer messenger) was possible - except if using mobile emulators.

The first page I found (using Duckduckgo, of course) was:

davidgf.net/page/39/whatsapp-on-your-computer:-pidgin-plugin

That page has no date around, so we cannot easily say if it is older or newer.

But it points to a project in Github, where we can see some bad news:

Quote:
Originally Posted by github: /davidgfnet/whatsapp-purple
[As seen in 2017/10/14 10:09 UTC]

whatsapp-purple

WhatsApp protocol implementation for libpurple (Pidgin)

Important! As of April 15th 2016 I won't be working on this plugin anymore. If someone wants to pick up development feel free to email me. There are some other up-to-date APIs that you may want to check (yowsup, ChatAPI, etc).
0. What linux distribution are you using? Which version?

1. Which version of Pidgin are you using? Did you have to install a plugin to have the WA possibility?

2. If it is a plugin, is it the plugin I have found?

Knowing what it is exactly may help people around here give help to us (I am as interested in this thread as you! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr vickers View Post
Title: Whatsapp and pidgin help plaese.

Hi all, I'm trying to setup whatsapp on pidgin but don't know what the username and password I should type in. I have the code from setting up Whatspp but unsure if that's the password or not. Any help please.

Thanks
A bit offtopic, but important: mr vickers, you have typed the word "please" wrong. You may edit your post and fix it. Further, the title of your post is not too good. I suggest that you change it to something like "Whatsapp and Pidgin version 123.4 basic help", which will possibly help other people with the same issues as you now. In other words, you have to clearly describe your problem in the thread title, this is a valuable detail.

Last edited by dedec0; 10-14-2017 at 05:37 AM.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:25 AM   #3
kjhambrick

Distribution: Slackware64 15.0 + Multilib

Rep: Reputation: 1512Reputation: 1512Reputation: 1512Reputation: 1512Reputation: 1512Reputation: 1512Reputation: 1512Reputation: 1512Reputation: 1512Reputation: 1512Reputation: 1512
mr vickers --

My Boss has been after me to get back on IM.

IMO, IM is a nuisance on my Dev Workstation so I never set up Pidgin on my 'New' Slackware64 14.2 Workstation.

OTOH, she's the boss

So just for fun ... Let Me Google That For You

After reading thru a few of the links, I get the impression that One used to be able to sniff their UserName and PassWord from their Phone and then use those credentials in Pidgin.

However, the WhatsApp folks have changed their Protocol, and started sending legal DMCA C&D letters to 3rd-party OSS Devs ( see the updates in the link above )

In addition The Author of the pidgin-whatsapp Plugin Has Abandoned His Work ( see the IMPORTANT Note at the top of README.md and note that all the linux download links are 404 and the Windows download link has a bad Cert ).

Reading between the lines, it sounds like the WA people are decidedly dickish when it comes to their dealings with 3rd-party OSS developers.

If you really want to do this, there are links to links to links under the LMGTFY Link that reference Linux Apps that can set up WA Accounts or change the Password for existing Accounts ...

There are a lot of dead links, but if you want to set up a new WA Acct for your Linux Box, these two links are alive:

1. yowsup ( Python App )
2. WART ( looks like a Windows-Only .Net App )

Sounds like you can use WA on your Phone or in your Browser but if you can't link your 'main' WA Acct in Pidgin, what's the point of WhatsApp in Pidgin ?

YMMV ... maybe someone else knows how to do this on Slackware but I don't need to waste any more time on WA ?

-- kjh

p.s. I started typing this and doing the googling before I saw dedec0's post ...

Last edited by kjhambrick; 10-14-2017 at 06:27 AM. Reason: add p.s.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:53 AM   #4
mr vickers
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I'm using slackware 14.2 and I've installed the Whatsapp plugin from Slackbuilds.org

Thanks.