LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-09-2017, 12:06 PM   #1
swaggboi
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware, Fedora/RHEL, OpenBSD

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Steam install - libc.so.6 missing

I installed Slackware 14.2 (amd64) on to my laptop recently and it's been running smoothly with no issues. I installed Steam onto this one by following this thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/slackware/c...slackware_142/

Installed OpenAL, libtxc_dxtn, and libvdpau via sbopkg and then installed Alien Bob's Steam package with installpkg. On my laptop, this worked perfectly and Steam (and Counter-Strike 1.6) are still working just fine. After playing with Slackware for a week I felt a bit more confident to install it on my desktop. Followed the same procedure for installing Steam and it seemed to go well until the final step... After I installed Alien Bob's Steam package, I tried both launching Steam via the KDE GUI and via terminal (via Konsole) but a message immediately pops up in a separate terminal window stating I am missing "libc.so.6".

I've been searching for a fix for this but so far I've only found posts of users reporting the issue but no fix yet (unless I just suck at Google). In the meantime I've tried reinstalling every package I could think of before finally formatting and trying it from scratch all over, each time with the same result. Any idea what I did wrong here?

Old 10-09-2017, 12:37 PM   #2
RadicalDreamer

Distribution: Slackware64-Current

Rep: Reputation: 981Reputation: 981Reputation: 981Reputation: 981Reputation: 981Reputation: 981Reputation: 981Reputation: 981
Sorry I don't know about Alien Bob's package. It looks like you are missing a library. I use the Slackbuild package: https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/games/steam/

Steam automatically updates itself once installed.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:30 PM   #3
jostber

Distribution: Slackware Current 64-bit

Rep: Reputation: 178Reputation: 178
Try to reinstall glibc and glibc-solibs.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:46 PM   #4
heyjann

To me it sounds like a multilib issue, steam being a 32-bit program, and you using slackware64.

Did you install multilib with the help of slackpkgplus (mentioned in the reddit thread too), or more 'manually'? Even with slackpkgplus it's (very) slightly more complicated than they make it out to be in that thread.

If you need additional libraries installed (not sure, I think Steam includes and uses some of its own/Ubuntu's) you may need to have 32-bit versions of those as well.

EDIT: Did a quick test using one of alienbob's non-multilib Slackware64 livecds and on that, steam will mention libc.so.6 when failing to start.
Could you try the following command in a terminal, please?
ls /var/log/packages | grep glibc
If the output contains x86_64 but no mention of multilib, the problem will be the (lack of) multilib install.

Last edited by heyjann; 10-09-2017 at 02:46 PM. Reason: now checked if multilib issue would produce this kind of error

Old 10-09-2017, 07:52 PM   #5
swaggboi
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies everyone. So far I have tried reinstalling glibc via SlackPkg which didn't work. Then I tried the suggested ls/grep commands which did return x86_64 libraries but no mention of multilib. Now I am reinstalling multilib via SlackPkg+ (this is the the only method I've tried so far)... It's taking a little while so I'll see if that does anything and if not I'm thinking I should try a manual install of multilib per the Slackware docs. My laptop didn't ask for all that when I first got Steam working but I guess my desktop will be another beast.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:16 AM   #6
RadicalDreamer

Distribution: Slackware64-Current

Rep: Reputation: 981Reputation: 981Reputation: 981Reputation: 981Reputation: 981Reputation: 981Reputation: 981Reputation: 981
Which version of Steam are you using? Windows or Linux. Windows version would definitely require multilib.

The Linux Steam Slackbuild doesn't mention multilib. It requires OpenAL, and recommends "flashplayer-plugin, libtxc_dxtn:" https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/games/steam/

Old 10-10-2017, 06:56 AM   #7
heyjann

If alienbob's package is used: it is 32-bit Steam for native Linux, no Wine. I found some references on the internet that Steam for Linux might eventually go 64-bit, but I don't think it's there yet. Install instructions for different distros still mention a multilib requirement when running 64-bit Linux.

Once multilib is installed and the libc error goes away, let's see if it starts complaining about OpenAL or something else.

For 14.2, no dependencies are listed besides a standard multilib install:
http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slac...ient/deps/14.2

For reference:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ing-4175614425

Old 10-10-2017, 06:38 PM   #8
swaggboi
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Ok so making some progress here... I ended up wget'ing the multilib packages from http://bear.alienbase.nl/mirrors/peo...multilib/14.2/ and then installed via upgradepkg. Steam now starts however I'm getting the following before I make it to the actual Steam GUI:

daniel@161850099976:~$ steam
Slackware 32-bit: Check the 'deps/<slackwareversion>' directory where you downloaded this package and install/upgrade the packages you find there.
Slackware 64-bit multilib: Install/upgrade the packages in the 'deps/<slackwareversion>/multilib' subdirectory instead.

Running Steam on slackware 14.2 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(0)
libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

This appears to be a separate issue so I'll probably start some Googling tonight or tomorrow as I just got home from work but thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction on this.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:25 PM   #9
heyjann

Good to hear there's progress. That error also came up in this thread:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/getting-steam-running-4175614425

It looks you may still need to install 32-bit versions of mesa / your video card driver, but the thread will show all that and more. Good luck!

Old 10-10-2017, 09:44 PM   #10
swaggboi
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Removed my 375.xx drivers via sbopkg and reinstalled 384.xx direct from nvidia's site... It works! Thanks again, time to download TF2

Old 10-14-2017, 02:59 PM   #11
Fat_Elvis

Distribution: FreeDOS 1.2

Rep: Reputation: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by fettycine_alguapo View Post
Removed my 375.xx drivers via sbopkg and reinstalled 384.xx direct from nvidia's site... It works! Thanks again, time to download TF2
There is a user here making Slackbuilds for Nvidia drivers. I personally had no problem with them -- other than the drivers themselves lacking several important features. But, Nvidia's installers appear to disregard your existing directory structure, and about one in every three versions can't compile a kernel module on my machine.