LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2020, 10:29 AM   #1
rakeshmanmohan
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Why Does Crontab -e Command Open In GUI Text Editor?

My employer purchased a desktop PC with a custom Linux installation, CentOS 6.9. The vendor is not providing any support. On this desktop I am trying to automate a simple script I created using crontab, strangely, whenever I run the command 'crontab -e' it opens in a GUI text editor.

I enter the cron job I need, click the save button on the text editor and close it, however, when I run 'crontab -l' and view the listing I don't see the cron I entered in the text editor.

I'm a newbie so everything I'm doing is informed by Google search so I expected crontab to open in vim. Could someone explain: Why is it opening in a GUI text editor? How do I get it to save?

Thank you

Old 06-29-2020, 10:47 AM   #2
michaelk

Rep: Reputation: 5892Reputation: 5892Reputation: 5892Reputation: 5892Reputation: 5892Reputation: 5892Reputation: 5892Reputation: 5892Reputation: 5892Reputation: 5892Reputation: 5892
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.

While the default editor is vim it can be changed but we need to know what editor is actually running.

Last edited by michaelk; 06-29-2020 at 10:53 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:55 AM   #3
shruggy

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Well, crontab -e first tries $VISUAL, then $EDITOR, and then, if both of them unset, starts /usr/bin/vi. So that GUI editor must be set either in VISUAL or in EDITOR.

Old 06-29-2020, 11:14 AM   #4
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 7962Reputation: 7962Reputation: 7962Reputation: 7962Reputation: 7962Reputation: 7962Reputation: 7962Reputation: 7962Reputation: 7962Reputation: 7962Reputation: 7962
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakeshmanmohan View Post
My employer purchased a desktop PC with a custom Linux installation, CentOS 6.9. The vendor is not providing any support. On this desktop I am trying to automate a simple script I created using crontab, strangely, whenever I run the command 'crontab -e' it opens in a GUI text editor.

I enter the cron job I need, click the save button on the text editor and close it, however, when I run 'crontab -l' and view the listing I don't see the cron I entered in the text editor. I'm a newbie so everything I'm doing is informed by Google search so I expected crontab to open in vim. Could someone explain: Why is it opening in a GUI text editor? How do I get it to save?
You don't say which GUI text editor is opening, so we can't tell you how to save it when you're done. However, you can look in your .profile or .bashrc files for the $EDITOR and $VISUAL environment variables. If they're not set there, look in /etc/profile, and change it to be whatever you'd like. I *THINK* (don't remember exactly) that if you remove those variables, it will default to vi, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

Besides all that, though, I'm not surprised your vendor isn't providing help...CentOS 6.9 is VERY old:
https://wiki.centos.org/About/Product

If these are new PC's, I'd sure want to know why they provided such an old OS that's going to be TOTALLY out of support (as in, ZERO updates/fixes) as of this year.