LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - Installation
User Name
Password
Slackware - Installation This forum is for the discussion of installation issues with Slackware.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-12-2019, 03:12 PM   #31
PROBLEMCHYLD

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorpurple21859 View Post
Could it be your system is similar to my HP where the only way to change the default boot file/order is from the bios setup.
My system is like this as well.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:34 PM   #32
laprjns

Distribution: SalixOS

Rep: Reputation: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazel View Post
S It seems that the first non-Windows bootloader installed is somehow locked in. In the end he deleted grub and renamed refind grubx64.efi. Then it worked. I may end up having to do something similar.
Possibly this bug? https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/20187.html
In the absence of a uefi menu entry named "Window Boot Manager" (or possible Red Hat Enterprise Linux) your system maybe is ignoring the first boot priority and skipping to the second one. I suggest trying to make a boot entry item for refind with the label as "Microsoft Boot Manager like this

efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sda -p 2 -w -L "Microsoft Boot Manager" -l '\EFI\refind\refind_x64.efi

The only issue with this is that when you invoke the uefi firmwares boot menu, you will see the Microsoft "Boot Manager" as an option

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:19 AM   #33
hazel

Distribution: LFS, AntiX, Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 1897Reputation: 1897Reputation: 1897Reputation: 1897Reputation: 1897Reputation: 1897Reputation: 1897Reputation: 1897Reputation: 1897Reputation: 1897Reputation: 1897
Quote:
Originally Posted by laprjns View Post
Yes, I knew about that one. Rod mentions it in his refind guide. But my bug is subtly different, since my Lenovo will boot elilo under its own name.
Quote:
I suggest trying to make a boot entry item for refind with the label as "Microsoft Boot Manager like this

efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sda -p 2 -w -L "Microsoft Boot Manager" -l '\EFI\refind\refind_x64.efi
That makes no difference. Which goes to show, I suppose, that while many (all?) Lenovo uefis are buggy, they are not all buggy in the same way.

Having refind first in the boot order doesn't make any difference either though Rod describes some uefis that can be tricked like this. Basically you have a shut-down script that invokes efibootmgr to put refind first for the next boot. In my case, that doesn't work, but I could easily adapt Rod's trick by having a shutdown script that always makes refind the next one-off boot.

Last edited by hazel; 10-13-2019 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Added text