LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Other *NIX Forums > *BSD
User Name
Password
*BSD This forum is for the discussion of all BSD variants.
FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, etc.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-05-2019, 05:33 AM   #61
jggimi

Distribution: None. Just OpenBSD.

Rep: Reputation: 89

Per the latest OpenBSD INSTALL.armv7 document from the most recent snapshot:
Quote:
To perform an installation you must be able to interact with the serial
console of the machine.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:44 AM   #62
whansard

Distribution: RH 6.2, Gen2, Knoppix,arch, bodhi, studio, suse, mint

Rep: Reputation: 64
sabayon is a good gentoo fork. quick to get up, and you can use the sabayon pre-compiled stuff, and still use portage.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:16 PM   #63
beard5849
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thanks wansard, I've downloaded Armbian for my Banana Pi M2 Berry, onto my Linux PC, wrote the SD card,
plugged in the network cable and power to the Berry and I'm up, up and away with an SSH login.

No need for a system console either GUI or the serial port.

What I'm saying is:

If the *BSD world wants to get their product out there being used, MAKE IT EASY TO INSTALL.

That's all.

And that's what I was looking for.
*BSD was nearly there, for my board, install this boot stuff with "dd", I can do that but
please setup an SSH login with a default username and password to do the system configuration.

Simple really.

Alan VK2ZIW

Old 02-07-2019, 02:15 AM   #64
Turbocapitalist

Distribution: Linux Mint, Devuan, OpenBSD

Rep: Reputation: 1914Reputation: 1914Reputation: 1914Reputation: 1914Reputation: 1914Reputation: 1914Reputation: 1914Reputation: 1914Reputation: 1914Reputation: 1914Reputation: 1914
Quote:
Originally Posted by beard5849 View Post
If the *BSD world wants to get their product out there being used, MAKE IT EASY TO INSTALL.
The BSD projects are quite distinct with separate goals.

1) OpenBSD actually is exceptionally easy to install. It beats most GNU/Linux distros in that regard.

2) Growth in market share is not the goal of OpenBSD. They seem to present themselves now as a research project to actively develop a good system. The OS is thus for the people actively working on it, the rest of us can come along for the ride if we are not in the way.

Compare that to TrueOS, which presents themselves as a fork of FreeBSD, but one with a lot of polish and pre-configured options to make life easier on the desktop.

So if you are complaining about ease of installation, check OpenBSD if you plan to contribute actively to the development, or check TrueOS if you just want a replacement for Linux Mint on the desktop.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:48 AM   #65
cynwulf

Rep: Reputation: 1485Reputation: 1485Reputation: 1485Reputation: 1485Reputation: 1485Reputation: 1485Reputation: 1485Reputation: 1485Reputation: 1485Reputation: 1485
Quote:
There are instructions for installing on these evaluation boards:

https://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/.../INSTALL.armv7

Old 02-07-2019, 06:41 AM   #66
jggimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
There are instructions for installing on these evaluation boards...
I'd already posted a link to the most recent snapshot's INSTALL.armv7 document, above. It appears the key issue is OpenBSD's serial console requirement.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:43 PM   #67
Philip Lacroix

Distribution: Slackware, BSD

Rep: Reputation: 539Reputation: 539Reputation: 539Reputation: 539Reputation: 539Reputation: 539
Quote:
Can somebody point me on how to install (any) *BSD onto the Banana Pi M2 Berry (clearly mentioned on OpenBSD as supported)

I have no reason to build a *BSD box on a PC first. - And I mean that.
Hello Alan

If you are still considering a BSD for your board, you might want to try NetBSD: the evbarm port fully supports both the Raspberry Pi and the Banana Pi. I'm using it on the former, and a serial console was not needed for it (although it does work nicely): I just had to dd the installer image to the SD card, plug in a keyboard and a monitor, power on. Then I was in control for partitioning and installation. The secure shell was not configured by default, though, I guess for security reasons.

Edit: the Banana Pi, however, needs some additional steps before it can booted.

Quote:
Project: Ham Radio Repeater controllers doing Digital Voice, Codec2, see www.freedv.org
Looks like an interesting project.

Last edited by Philip Lacroix; 02-08-2019 at 10:15 AM.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:57 PM   #68
beard5849
LQ Newbie

Thanks Philip Lacroix,

Sorry the instructions here are as clear as mud!
https://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/evbarm/allwinner/

Download or build armv7.img (32-bit) or arm64.img (64-bit) from NetBSD -current
Write the image to disk: dd if=armv7.img of=/dev/rld0d bs=1m conv=sync
Install a board-specific U-Boot (2018.05 or later) from pkgsrc to the SD card (the u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin-s are provided by sysutils/u-boot-<boardname> packages): dd if=/usr/pkg/share/u-boot/<boardname>/u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin of=/dev/rld0d bs=1k seek=8 conv=sync

https://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/Ne...g/armv7.img.gz

But where do I get the sysutils/u-boot-<boardname> package?

I've searched all over the place eg.

https://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/Ne...INSTALL.bin.gz

https://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/Ne...BPI_INSTALL.gz

Alan VK2ZIW

Old 02-07-2019, 04:19 PM   #69
sevendogsbsd

Distribution: FreeBSD, OpenSUSE

I don't think the goal of any BSD* is to "get their product out there". All of the big BSD's (Free, Open and Net) are open source projects and the entities putting them out do not profit from their use.

Easy is a relative term: I find FreeBSD drop dead simple to install but I have been using it for a long time. I found OpenBSD rather difficult, and I have not tried NetBSD so cannot comment.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:22 PM   #70
YesItsMe

Distribution: Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 207Reputation: 207Reputation: 207
FreeBSD acquires quite a lot of monetary and human resources from FreeBSD-dependent companies like Apple. Sure, they wouldn't care much if FreeBSD disappears, but they are happy that someone else does most of the work for them.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:01 AM   #71
Philip Lacroix

Rep: Reputation: 539Reputation: 539Reputation: 539Reputation: 539Reputation: 539Reputation: 539
Quote:
But where do I get the sysutils/u-boot-<boardname> package?
Silly me. I assumed that the process for the Banana Pi would be very similar to the Raspberry, but it's clearly not. U-Boot has to be built for the board first (I couldn't find any binary either) and then a serial connection seems to be needed as well. I agree with you that the NetBSD Wiki is not always as clear as it should be. Sorry for the poor advice.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:36 PM   #72
beard5849
LQ Newbie

Thanks Philip Lacroix
The problem with the whole Raspberry Pi family is, no High Speed Disk interface, eg. SATA or a PCI-e slot.

My first Raspberry Pi, the 256Mb original, wore out the SD card in hours, yes hours so I vowed, need SATA disk.
2014, I bought two Banana Pi boards, never looked back. Then another two for projects.

But, as you see, the software guys *BSD, haven't made it easy. I'm not sure they've tried their own instructions.

The only Raspberry Pi board I have is the 256Mb original.

Can you post exactly what you did please, for your Banana Pi?

Last month I got a PINE64 RockPro64 and PCI-e SATA interface. What a hoot, a Raspberry Pi 3 KILLER.

Alan VK2ZIW

Old 02-08-2019, 05:05 PM   #73
jggimi

The Pine64 can be used with OpenBSD/arm64. But, just like with the armv7 architecture, serial console connection is required for the initial installation on these systems.

Note: a serial console does not require another OpenBSD system, or any BSD system at all. It merely requires a terminal, or a computer running a terminal emulator application, and the appropriate cabling.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:18 AM   #74
Philip Lacroix

Quote:
Can you post exactly what you did please, for your Banana Pi?
I wish I could, Alan, but unfortunately I don't own a Banana Pi board, just a couple of Raspberries, earlier models. However, what you say about the Banana Pi sounds interesting so I might get a used one, hopefully soon, to figure out how the actual boot and install process looks like.