LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-02-2020, 03:50 AM   #121
elcore

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgibbon View Post
Firefox runs great here, I never understood what all the anti-Firefox fuss was about over the years.
There was some fuss, but it was about feature creep like webrtc and pocket, and forced australis interface, and webextensions to some extent.
For me it was the pulse requirement that was one drop too many, an officiall recommended platform became GNOME at some point, and additionally it was the removal of status bar and preferences gui.
Less features in noscript webextension compared to XUL extension, and compile time skyrocket was the final nail, luckily no other software depends on it, yet.

Old 09-02-2020, 04:50 AM   #122
Fat_Elvis

Distribution: FreeDOS 1.2

Rep: Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcore View Post
There was some fuss, but it was about feature creep like webrtc and pocket, and forced australis interface, and webextensions to some extent.
For me it was the pulse requirement that was one drop too many, an officiall recommended platform became GNOME at some point, and additionally it was the removal of status bar and preferences gui.
Less features in noscript webextension compared to XUL extension, and compile time skyrocket was the final nail, luckily no other software depends on it, yet.

I haven't been following all of that. When you lay it out like that, it does sound pretty bad. Still, there is a real paucity of free software browsers capable of displaying modern web pages. To me, Palemoon and Konqueror seem to be two of the best alternatives.

Old 09-02-2020, 05:03 AM   #123
chrisretusn

Distribution: Slackware64-current

Rep: Reputation: 547Reputation: 547Reputation: 547Reputation: 547Reputation: 547Reputation: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcore View Post
I've been using Firefox since it's inception, it was called Phoenix back then. I like Firefox. It HAS tested me on many occasion (currently with Firefox mobile), many of those things you mentioned. I overcame and adapted to these changes. The ones that almost got me to switch was the web extensions and maybe the loss of the status bar. Eventually I adapted found replacement addons, some even better than the older ones. I got used to no status icons, etc. I've tried many other browsers, it only take a few minutes to decide, I like Firefox better. I hope it's not dropped.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:06 AM   #124
Fat_Elvis

Distribution: FreeDOS 1.2

Rep: Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisretusn View Post
I've been using Firefox since it's inception, it was called Phoenix back then.
It was also Firebird for a while, if I recall correctly.

To be honest, Slackware completely dropping Firefox seems very drastic. I seriously doubt that would happen in the immediate future.

Even so, it is trivial to install from the binaries available on the Firefox website.

Last edited by Fat_Elvis; 09-02-2020 at 05:10 AM.

Old 09-03-2020, 03:28 AM   #125
chrisretusn

Distribution: Slackware64-current

Rep: Reputation: 547Reputation: 547Reputation: 547Reputation: 547Reputation: 547Reputation: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_Elvis View Post
It was also Firebird for a while, if I recall correctly.

To be honest, Slackware completely dropping Firefox seems very drastic. I seriously doubt that would happen in the immediate future.

Even so, it is trivial to install from the binaries available on the Firefox website.
Yes it was called Firebird for a while. Oh I'm not really worried it will be dropped from Slackware in the foreseeable future and you are correct, easy as pie to build from binaries.