LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-13-2019, 07:33 PM   #1
zoli62
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Is there a disadvantage of hibernating on SSD?

How does hibernation affect the lifetime of SSD? There are many different information about this.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:05 AM   #2
zeebra

Distribution: Mageia, Slackware, Maemo

Rep: Reputation: 101Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoli62 View Post
How does hibernation affect the lifetime of SSD? There are many different information about this.
Everytime you hibernate you have to write a rather large image of your current system state to your disk. This means that many cells on the SSD disk will be written to. And this will happen every time you hibernate.
SSD's have limited lifetime, as in limited writes to any cells on the disk. This is what determins the lifetime. There are various ways of increasing SSD lifetime, including one where you spread the write to different cells on the disk to even it out.
Constantly writing huge files to your SSD will be a burdon. It will not ruin the disk, and it will still take a long time to wear the SSD out. But is it worth it?

Why do you even want to use hibernate when you have a very good "sleep" option these days? Idle has become really efficient, it also starts up much faster than hibernation does. Hibernation to me is a bit weird these days, when computers can start up so quickly as they can. I simply cannot see the need to hibernate as oppose to shutting down the computer. And if you do not want to shut down, I see "sleep" as a far better option than hibernate.

But yes, constantly writing huge files (ex. hibernation image) to an SSD will most likely affect the lifetime.

If this machine is not a laptop with only one disk slot, you can always make sure to write the hibernation to another disk than the SSD.

Last edited by zeebra; 01-14-2019 at 06:07 AM. Reason: added info

Old 01-14-2019, 06:28 AM   #3
zoli62
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeebra View Post
Everytime you hibernate you have to write a rather large image of your current system state to your disk. This means that many cells on the SSD disk will be written to. And this will happen every time you hibernate.
SSD's have limited lifetime, as in limited writes to any cells on the disk. This is what determins the lifetime. There are various ways of increasing SSD lifetime, including one where you spread the write to different cells on the disk to even it out.
Constantly writing huge files to your SSD will be a burdon. It will not ruin the disk, and it will still take a long time to wear the SSD out. But is it worth it?

Why do you even want to use hibernate when you have a very good "sleep" option these days? Idle has become really efficient, it also starts up much faster than hibernation does. Hibernation to me is a bit weird these days, when computers can start up so quickly as they can. I simply cannot see the need to hibernate as oppose to shutting down the computer. And if you do not want to shut down, I see "sleep" as a far better option than hibernate.

But yes, constantly writing huge files (ex. hibernation image) to an SSD will most likely affect the lifetime.

If this machine is not a laptop with only one disk slot, you can always make sure to write the hibernation to another disk than the SSD.
This is true, but the significance of hibernation is a critical charge level of the battery.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:35 AM   #4
BW-userx
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware 14.2 current / Linux Mint

Rep: Reputation: 1533Reputation: 1533Reputation: 1533Reputation: 1533Reputation: 1533Reputation: 1533Reputation: 1533Reputation: 1533Reputation: 1533Reputation: 1533Reputation: 1533
I have actually been in the middle of compiling source code, ran out of time, had to catch a bus, closed my laptop until the next day, when I opened it, it picked up where it left off and I still got a completed successful compile. So sleep worked really good in that instance.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:28 AM   #5
zeebra

Distribution: Mageia, Slackware, Maemo

Rep: Reputation: 101Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoli62 View Post
This is true, but the significance of hibernation is a critical charge level of the battery.
Well, it depends a little on the processor and battery, but the sleep/idle these days has become really effective.

For me hibernation is just not a necessary option. Considering the fast boot times these days, Hibernation is fully obsolete for me. And also, with certain desktops you can preserve the state of the desktop through a reboot as well. This is a possible alternative to hibernation if you want things that luxurious without using sleep/idle.

Last edited by zeebra; 01-14-2019 at 09:31 AM.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:04 PM   #6
jefro

Rep: Reputation: 2795Reputation: 2795Reputation: 2795Reputation: 2795Reputation: 2795Reputation: 2795Reputation: 2795Reputation: 2795Reputation: 2795Reputation: 2795Reputation: 2795
I suspect that on average a user will either replace their modern SSD or outgrow it before it will wear out. The first models may be starting to burn out and maybe some enterprise level users are replacing them now.

I assume your hibernate is a write to disk so it could affect life of ssd by maybe one week per 10 years. Not much I'd guess. Hibernate and sleep may be slightly different on different models and OS's.