LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Security
User Name
Password
Linux - Security This forum is for all security related questions.
Questions, tips, system compromises, firewalls, etc. are all included here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-16-2018, 06:19 AM   #1
galen

Distribution: MX, Xubuntu, Zorin. BOYCOTTING: Vector, Beatrix, BLAG, Slackware. Life banned from: Facebook, Yahoo!

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Telegram starting up on its own, unwanted.

I've installed Telgram Desktop 1.3.14 on my MX Linux (debian/stretch)
and the program will start itself at odd times. It is not in XFCE autostart after login. The computer will be running for hours and Telegram will simply startup.
I've have not found why it is doing this, there is no browser plugin triggering it, nor is Telegram authorized to use Notifications (XFCE)

Anyone else getting this behaviour from Telegram?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telegram_(service)

My rkhunter is not working properly so I can't check for rootkits with it.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:07 PM   #2
sevendogsbsd

Distribution: FreeBSD

Rep: Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by galen View Post
I've installed Telgram Desktop 1.3.14 on my MX Linux (debian/stretch)
and the program will start itself at odd times. It is not in XFCE autostart after login. The computer will be running for hours and Telegram will simply startup.
I've have not found why it is doing this, there is no browser plugin triggering it, nor is Telegram authorized to use Notifications (XFCE)

Anyone else getting this behaviour from Telegram?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telegram_(service)

My rkhunter is not working properly so I can't check for rootkits with it.
I don't run telegram any more but have you checked
Code:
/etc/xdg/autostart
for any telegram files? I wouldn't delete them but you can move them to another archive folder or set the internal switch to not run at start up. Can't remember what that is at the moment.

Telegram was phoning home to it's mother country on my android phone so I go rid of it...

Old 09-26-2018, 01:13 AM   #3
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevendogsbsd View Post
I don't run telegram any more but have you checked
Code:
/etc/xdg/autostart
for any telegram files? I wouldn't delete them but you can move them to another archive folder or set the internal switch to not run at start up. Can't remember what that is at the moment.
iirc the canonical way would be to copy the .desktop file to ~/.config/autostart, then edit the internal switch (Hidden=True?). that would mask the one in /etc.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:23 AM   #4
galen

Distribution: MX, Xubuntu, Zorin. BOYCOTTING: Vector, Beatrix, BLAG, Slackware. Life banned from: Facebook, Yahoo!

Original Poster

yes I have checked
etc/xdg/autostart

Telegram will start on its own after the computer is running, minutes hours, or days without user input

Old 09-26-2018, 06:33 AM   #5
hydrurga
LQ Guru

Distribution: Linux Mint 21 MATE

Rep: Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925
Have you checked your processes to see if Telegram is running a background process?

Old 09-26-2018, 07:12 AM   #6
galen

Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrurga View Post
Have you checked your processes to see if Telegram is running a background process?
yes of course

Old 09-26-2018, 07:13 AM   #7
galen

Original Poster

no keyboard shortcuts or bindings as well

Old 09-26-2018, 07:31 AM   #8
sevendogsbsd

Distribution: FreeBSD

Rep: Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011
OP - I was going to suggest a systemd check but I don't think MX linux uses systemd. I could be wrong though. Personally I don't like telegram once I found out it is constantly phoning home to the country in which it was originally written. To me that's a little scary. It probably isn't spyware per se, but the phone home traffic was not relevant to the app so this was alarming to me.

Something has to be starting it - Linux apps can't just start on their own. Apps start either as a daemon system wide (systemd these days), or via a .desktop startup file in /etc/xdg/autostart, or ~/.config/autostart.