LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password
LQ Suggestions & Feedback Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.
PLEASE READ THIS FORUM - Information and status updates will also be posted here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-28-2019, 01:05 AM   #16
jsbjsb001

Distribution: Currently: OpenMandriva. Previously: openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, CentOS, among others over the years.

Rep: Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballsystemlord View Post
You forgot to mention linux drivers for scanners are often problematic and hit-or-miss.
More interesting is HW to examine electronics: Logic analyzers, oscilloscopes, microscopes, etc.
All that I've examined don't have opensource drivers or, for very cheap ones, utilize USB and so they use proprietary firmware.
Well actually I didn't "forget" anything - I just didn't include a exhaustive list of hardware that doesn't enjoy very good Linux support. I said "less standard hardware" for very good reason, which should have be clear in what I mean in saying that. I picked TV tuners/cards because they are a (one of) prime example of hardware where Linux drivers can still be lacking, either not available at all, or lacking in function. Nowhere did I say they were the only example, and scanners while not as bad as TV tuners/card in relation to Linux hardware support, they would be an example of less standard hardware. Given that if you buy a new computer, particularly something like a laptop, it's unlikely they will throw in a scanner/multifunction printer + scanner with it - unless maybe you buy a package deal that includes a scanner and/or printer.

The same as when you buy a new computer, it's not likely Linux (some distribution of) will come pre-installed as it's OS. It's far more likely that will be Windows pre-installed, unless maybe you explicitly ask for Linux instead - not that all manufacturers will give you that option though.

So please don't put words into my mouth thanks.

Old 12-28-2019, 01:49 PM   #17
ballsystemlord

Distribution: Devuan

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbjsb001 View Post
Well actually I didn't "forget" anything - I just didn't include a exhaustive list of hardware that doesn't enjoy very good Linux support. I said "less standard hardware" for very good reason, which should have be clear in what I mean in saying that. I picked TV tuners/cards because they are a (one of) prime example of hardware where Linux drivers can still be lacking, either not available at all, or lacking in function. Nowhere did I say they were the only example, and scanners while not as bad as TV tuners/card in relation to Linux hardware support, they would be an example of less standard hardware. Given that if you buy a new computer, particularly something like a laptop, it's unlikely they will throw in a scanner/multifunction printer + scanner with it - unless maybe you buy a package deal that includes a scanner and/or printer.

The same as when you buy a new computer, it's not likely Linux (some distribution of) will come pre-installed as it's OS. It's far more likely that will be Windows pre-installed, unless maybe you explicitly ask for Linux instead - not that all manufacturers will give you that option though.

So please don't put words into my mouth thanks.
My intention was never to put words into your mouth. Rather, I noticed that most printers today (excluding the mono ones), are all-in-one packages, so it seemed strange to me that you'd mention only printers but not scanners (Fax is rather dead and I've no way to test/look into the matter so I didn't mention it). My comments after that were intended to be generally informative and did not specifically relate to what you said.

Old 12-28-2019, 10:22 PM   #18
jsbjsb001

Distribution: Currently: OpenMandriva. Previously: openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, CentOS, among others over the years.

Rep: Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballsystemlord View Post
My intention was never to put words into your mouth. Rather, I noticed that most printers today (excluding the mono ones), are all-in-one packages, so it seemed strange to me that you'd mention only printers but not scanners (Fax is rather dead and I've no way to test/look into the matter so I didn't mention it). My comments after that were intended to be generally informative and did not specifically relate to what you said.
Erm, you actually *are* putting words into my mouth... as I actually mentioned printers AFTER your post #15, not before. So that comment doesn't make a lot of sense, sorry. Which was also after you accusing me of "forgetting" scanners. And I mentioned scanners in the same post as I mentioned printers too (post #16).

Please take the time to actually read posts properly before responding to them - as it's hard to interpret your post #15 as anything other than a response to my post #14 when you say "you forgot ...". That does in fact imply you were responding to my post #14. And now you're implying that I was talking about printers before my post #16...

Last edited by jsbjsb001; 12-28-2019 at 10:38 PM. Reason: addition and changed "Ah" to "Erm"

Old 12-29-2019, 07:47 AM   #19
boughtonp

Distribution: Debian

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 2534Reputation: 2534Reputation: 2534Reputation: 2534Reputation: 2534Reputation: 2534Reputation: 2534Reputation: 2534Reputation: 2534Reputation: 2534Reputation: 2534
"You forgot to mention..." is a turn of phrase, not an accusation.

Printers were initially mentioned in the context of "...the primary areas where Linux and hardware still have issues..." written by frankbell.

ballsystemlord's post appeared to be responding to the thread; they did not initially quote any particular person, and their later "...that you'd mention..." was probably just an innocent mixup in who said what.

The original reason for this thread was to question the broken links - these links have now been removed (along with jeremy's confirmation of the HCL being EOLed), so the thread is solved.

If people want to discuss a potential replacement and its contents, a separate thread on that topic is a better place to consider relevant hardware.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:04 PM   #20
rnturn

Distribution: openSUSE, Raspbian, Slackware. Previous: MacOS, Red Hat, Coherent, Consensys SVR4.2, Tru64, Solaris

Rep: Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
I can confirm we do plan to EOL the HCL. Most members were simply not finding it useful these days. We'll remove it from the nav. If any members did find it useful, I'd be curious to know more.
o old o old
--jeremy
I found it useful to the extent that it gave me an idea of vendors who were better than others about Linux support. Maybe not specific items/models because, as someone above mentioned, some of the information can be for outdated equipment. I tend to continue using hardware for so long that some of it could vote or buy liquor (and, because of that, I haven't kept up-to-the-minute on new chipsets, etc.) and would sometimes refer to the HCL to narrow my search for potential replacements to "good" vendors without having to buy something, test it, find it unsuitable, and have to go through the hassle of RMAs and (hopefully) cross shipping.

Kind of sad to see it go if that's the direction the site's going to take.

Last edited by rnturn; 03-28-2020 at 10:37 PM.