LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-13-2019, 04:51 PM   #1
Pippin_89
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Bodhi Linux 5.0.0

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Cannot connect to wifi

Hi all!

New Linux user here. I'm using Bodhi on a 2008 Macbook and enjoying this much better than Snow Leopard already, but there are a few basic things I can't seem to figure out.

According to this pagehttp://www.bodhilinux.com/w/connecting-to-the-internet/ I should have an icon on my shelf that allows me to view nearby wifi networks and choose one to connect to. I don't have this icon, I can't seem to find the Network Management (nm-applet) mentioned on this page using Bodhi's package manager, and I don't know how to use the terminal to either install the package I need or view available wifi networks (either of those would be fine by me, I'm not set on using a GUI to connect to wifi).

Ethernet is working well!

One more question: I would like to be using the terminal a lot more than I am now. It looks like Bodhi doesn't really encourage this by having point-and-click options for everything I have wanted to customise so far (apart from the wifi thing above, which according to support SHOULD be there but isn't). What is a good starting point to learn how to use terminal? I have some experience using it under Mac OS and some experience using command line in Windows as well, but not much.

Thank you!

Old 07-13-2019, 06:35 PM   #2
frankbell
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu MATE, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with

Rep: Reputation: 4257Reputation: 4257Reputation: 4257Reputation: 4257Reputation: 4257Reputation: 4257Reputation: 4257Reputation: 4257Reputation: 4257Reputation: 4257Reputation: 4257
What is the wireless chipset in that machine? (The command lspci issued in a terminal should report that. You may have to issue the command as root.)

Old 07-14-2019, 01:56 AM   #3
Pippin_89
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Hi frankbell,

Thanks for the reply! The relevant line from lspci output:

02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom BCM4321 802.11a/b/g/n (rev ff)

Old 07-14-2019, 03:08 AM   #4
Shadow_7

Distribution: debian

Rep: Reputation: 820Reputation: 820Reputation: 820Reputation: 820Reputation: 820Reputation: 820Reputation: 820
You probably don't have the driver installed / configured / firmware for the device. And without a functioning wifi device it doesn't show the applet to use/configure the device. CNTRL+ALT+F# should get you to a console (terminal). Where F1/F7 tend to be back to the GUI options in the key combo. From a console ALT+F# works, but so does using the same CNTRL+ALT+F#. Legacy / historical ways of old. Otherwise a terminal application will suffice. xterm, rxvt, Konsole, terminology, and others.

Not sure of the package management system for bodhi.

http://sources.openwrt.org/broadcom-...00.138.tar.bz2
http://sources.openwrt.org/broadcom-...0.10.5.tar.bz2

Two options for broadcom b43xx firmware. If your distro doesn't have an option. In debian there's a b43-fwcutter package to let you extract the firmware. The default firmware-b43-installer package grabs the 5.100.138 firmware. I have an old dell inspiron 1150 that needs the "other" one to work properly. They can be made to work. But it's not always a simple thing. And that is common for a LOT of wifi devices.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:29 AM   #5
hazel

Distribution: LFS, AntiX, Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 1584Reputation: 1584Reputation: 1584Reputation: 1584Reputation: 1584Reputation: 1584Reputation: 1584Reputation: 1584Reputation: 1584Reputation: 1584Reputation: 1584
I'm glad you want to learn to use the terminal. It's often the quickest and most elegant way to do things in Linux. For file management in particular, I rate it above all graphical file managers.

For more information on your wifi card, I suggest running dmesg|more. This will list the kernel's messages, page by page. Most of it is quite incomprehensible to the likes of you and me, but towards the end, you will see the kernel trying to set up the card. It will probably report that it is trying to load firmware but can't find it. The reference is to the b43 firmware file described by Shadow, which the kernel needs to load onto the wifi chip and which it expects to find in /lib/firmware. It will actually name the missing file. Once you have that in place, everything should be fine.

Last edited by hazel; 07-14-2019 at 03:30 AM.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:11 AM   #6
Pippin_89
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thanks so much Shadow and Hazel! The dmesg|more resulted in many pages of gibberish but the reference to b43 firmware was there. It gave me the name of the file and even a website to go to for a download! (I mean, the actual page doesn't exist but it's pretty cool it's there)

I'll look at the links Shadow copied and see what I can find.

Thanks again!