LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-13-2019, 02:24 PM   #1
edjenn1998
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Unhappy Blank screen after logging into fresh install of Linux

Iíve been trying different distros over the last couple weeks. My computer is a Dell 15inch Inspiron 7000 series 7559 laptop. It has an i7 cpu, 16 gb ram, 2 SSD drives, Nvidia 960m gpu with 2gb of video ram. I am not duel booting. I have deleted windows 10 off the computer and trying. To set up the computer as Linux only.

The only Linux distros that I can get to install and run with no problem are Ubuntu based distros. I can boot the live usb of a distros and it will functions with no problem. But, after installing it. The computer will stall at some point in the loading and not go any father. Debian 10 installed but locked up after logging in. I just tried Manjaro and it locked up after logging it. I have even tried with the non free packages thinking I needed a driver , but I have got nothing to work. . The only Linux OSes that will install and operate fine are Ubuntu, Linux Mint, and Pop_OS (System 76 Ubuntu based Linux). These are the only 3 that I have been able to run. Not fedora, Debian, nor Manjaro. I thought Manjaro was going to work but as soon as I log in the screen goes black and thatís it. Nothing. I have tried a bunch of different distros and only Ubuntu distros work. Can someone give me some guidance on what is going wrong.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:31 PM   #2
dc.901

Distribution: CentOS 6-7; SuSE 8-12

Rep: Reputation: 144Reputation: 144
For the OSes that didn't work well on your machine, did you boot into rescue mode and look at the logs?

Old 07-13-2019, 03:48 PM   #3
edjenn1998
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
How do I boot into rescue mode. I don’t see that option with Manjaro. I currently am trying Manjaro gnome edition and I see and option for gnome and classic gnome. At the log in.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:56 PM   #4
goumba

Distribution: Current: Debian and OpenSUSE. Past: Arch, RedHat (pre-RHEL). FreeBSD & OpenBSD novice, Hackintosh

Rep: Reputation: 332Reputation: 332Reputation: 332Reputation: 332
You do that from the bootloader, the first menu you see when you power on. It's likely hidden under a menu "Advanced options for Manjaro" or similar.

If you don't see an "Advanced options" menu, press the E key when the menu entry for Linux is highlighted, and append 'single' to the end of the line that begins with 'linuxefi'. Press Ctrl+X to continue booting.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:23 PM   #5
edjenn1998
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
I only see that boot loader thing when every once in a while. I do not see it every time I boot. Is there a way to force it to show?. When I did get it. I have two options. In the advanced section. Both kernels look to be the same kernel except one has fallback initramfs) next to it. I selected that one and Manjaro booted correctly once. I tested it and turn it off to see if that fixed it and I haven’t been able to boot it again regardless of which kernel I choose in the advanced options.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:57 PM   #6
colorpurple21859

Distribution: slackware64-current, arch, ubuntu, others

Rep: Reputation: 500Reputation: 500Reputation: 500Reputation: 500Reputation: 500Reputation: 500
at the grub menu press e and add nomodeset to the end of the line that begins with linux

Old 07-13-2019, 06:16 PM   #7
edjenn1998
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
I did the grub thing and pressed e then added nomideset to the end of the line that begins with Linux and then press f10 to boot and the computer won’t get off the dell logo

Old 07-13-2019, 07:32 PM   #8
edjenn1998
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
I reinstalled Manjaro again and same situation happened. I went into the advance menu and got Manjaro to fully boot. I updated an everything and installed a more updated kernel. Then after rebooting. It all went down hill. It got to the point of being stuck on the Dell logo.

I gave up. I installed Ubuntu. I don’t want Ubuntu. I want to get away from Ubuntu and away from Canonical. But they seem to be the o lot people who make Linux that will run on everything without a computer science degree.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:55 AM   #9
Shadow_7

Distribution: debian

Rep: Reputation: 820Reputation: 820Reputation: 820Reputation: 820Reputation: 820Reputation: 820Reputation: 820
In my case, I needed firmware-amd-graphics for my external monitor to work in the console (pre-X). From a debian (buster) minimal install.

Most recent debians (since 8-ish?) will boot to a blank tty1. You can ALT+F2 to get to tty2 which is NOT blank. You can type your username and press enter at which point tty1 shows the password: prompt on console. Otherwise boot to a GUI and most of those issues don't exist. Baring odd displays or GPUs.

As far as computer science degrees, most of this stuff isn't taught in college (yet).

You might try fedora. Otherwise there's arch_chroot methods to install arch on ubuntu based distros (based on debian). As long as you have a bootable linux, you can chroot to install missing firmware/drivers on other distros. You might be running into secure boot issues. Of which ubuntu and fedora paid the microsoft tax to be signed with their keys and should (if only in theory) work with secure boot enabled.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:29 AM   #10
colorpurple21859

Distribution: slackware64-current, arch, ubuntu, others

Rep: Reputation: 500Reputation: 500Reputation: 500Reputation: 500Reputation: 500Reputation: 500
Quote:
Otherwise there's arch_chroot methods to install arch on ubuntu based distros (based on debian).
lol that is how I installed arch due to a wireless card that an in tree kernel driver doen't exist yet.

Quote:
I needed firmware-amd-graphics
That could be the problem, chroot into your install and install firmware may fix the problem, I don't have a nivdia card so can only give general recommendations on how to fix. Maybe this will help https://gist.github.com/mauri870/5a5...0ca31c491811f6

Last edited by colorpurple21859; 07-14-2019 at 07:51 AM.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:04 AM   #11
edjenn1998
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Hey thank you all for your input. Linuxquestions.org is a great resource.

Tags
blank display, debian, fedora, install, manjaro