LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-12-2019, 07:41 AM   #1
mcnalu

Distribution: Slackware current

Rep: Reputation: 73
Shutdown issue solution ASUS laptop

I posted last year about my issues with my ASUS laptop. Ever since then I have lived with an annoying shutdown issue, but I've just solved it so I thought I'd describe the problem and solution here. I probably could've solved it before now but I wasn't too bothered by this issue as I rarely shutdown this laptop as it mostly sleeps when not in use.

TL;DR Blacklist nouveau and use nvidia drivers from SBo.

More details:

Shutting down this ASUS laptop has not worked correctly in some circumstances. The steps to produce it
on slackware-current (14.2 won't work on this laptop) are:
1. Start up into the console
2. Log on as a normal ie non-root user
3. Issue startx which starts X and KDE
4. Send the laptop to sleep by closing the lid
5. Wake the laptop up by opening lid and a key press
6. Shutdown via the KDE menu

Steps 4 and 5 can be repeated many times and any activity or application can be used without any problem while the laptop is awake.

After step 6 the shutdown usually hangs at the console screen with the fan going at full speed suggesting high CPU usage. The laptop will not respond to any input and can only be shutdown by a long press of the power button.

Inspecting /var/log/messages on the next reboot reveals the last message concerns Xorg but it does not appear to be an error. It seems that something stops Xorg from exiting.

The solution to the problem is to switch from using the nouveau driver to the nvidia one as described here:
https://docs.slackware.com/howtos:ha...aphics_drivers

(Despite what it says on that wiki page, according to slackbuilds.org libvdpau is no longer required.)

Also, the install script output (see below) referred to xorg.conf files that do not exist on my system and threw up a couple of errors that are likely from the nvidia-switch script being for 14.2 rather than -current.:

Code:
Make sure the nvidia driver is ENABLED in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
and in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d.
Otherwise, this may lead to improperly working drivers.
mv: cannot stat 'libGL.so.1.2.0': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat 'libEGL.so.1.0.0': No such file or directory
Using existing Xorg libwfb...
Package nvidia-driver-430.14-x86_64-1_SBo.tgz installed.
Cleaning for nvidia-driver-430.14...
/tmp/nvidia-driver-430.14-x86_64-1_SBo.tgz stored in /usr/sbo/sbotools

Old 07-12-2019, 03:02 PM   #2
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, MX 18

Rep: Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176
Glad to hear you were able to fix the shutdown issue.

Thanks for posting the fix.

Have a good weekend.

Tags
asus, nvidia, shutdown