LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Linux Power User Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - Installation
User Name
Password
Slackware - Installation This forum is for the discussion of installation issues with Slackware.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-09-2017, 11:28 AM   #1
johnmeehan

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
On update Keyboard only recognized in Terminal mode

I had this problem before and a reinstall of the OS solved the problem. That solution no longer works.

The problem is that keyboard input shows when the OS (Slackware 14.2) is in the initial terminal mode. When I type "startx" to enter the gui interface the keyboard input does not show up on screen whether in a search box or a text editor.

My system:

Dell Latitude D531

On install I chose all packages except KDEI International Language support.

I am using xinitrc.kde as the default windows manager

I used the installed slackpkg vers. 2.82.1 using a slackware current mirror and ran the following:

slackpkg update gpg
slackpkg update
slackpkg install-new
slackpkg upgrade-all

When the upgrade is complete input from the keyboard is not recognized when I startx though it is recognized in terminal mode. The touch pad works with no problem.

The problem does not occur with the initial install of the OS only after upgrading the OS

I encountered the same problem a couple months ago but when I reinstalled the OS and ran the above commands to upgrade the keyboard was recognized in gui mode.

A reinstall has not solved the problem this time.

Is there some code that has been introduced that does not like Dell Latitudes? If so is there a work around?

Old 11-09-2017, 01:21 PM   #2
Didier Spaier
LQ Addict

Distribution: Slint64-14.2 on Lenovo Thinkpad W520

Rep: Reputation: 2783Reputation: 2783Reputation: 2783Reputation: 2783Reputation: 2783Reputation: 2783Reputation: 2783Reputation: 2783Reputation: 2783Reputation: 2783Reputation: 2783
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmeehan View Post
The problem does not occur with the initial install of the OS only after upgrading the OS5
Why upgrade? Stay with 14.2.! Slackware-current is not a stable version, only intended for people eager to help finding issues and solve them before next release.

Also, in your list of commands you are missing this one:
slackpkg clean-system.

Last edited by Didier Spaier; 11-09-2017 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Redundant words removed.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:44 PM   #3
bassmadrigal

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 2503Reputation: 2503Reputation: 2503Reputation: 2503Reputation: 2503Reputation: 2503Reputation: 2503Reputation: 2503Reputation: 2503Reputation: 2503Reputation: 2503
Are you intending to run the development/unstable version of Slackware? Because that is what -current is. -current is used as a testbed for the next stable release of Slackware and all public development is done there. This can lead to instabilities and can cause a lot more work for the system administrator (you). The latest stable is 14.2, and if you select a 14.2 mirror in your mirror list for slackpkg, you'll have the latest patches for 14.2.

If you do intend to run -current, I'd suggest starting from Eric's unofficial -current install ISOs. It makes it much less likely that you'll run into issues over an upgrade.

But as Didier pointed out, if you are going to upgrade from 14.2 to -current, you need to run the additional slackpkg clean-system command, as that will remove all the packages that were removed during the development process of -current (some of those programs were replaced with alternates, while others were removed completely... see CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT on your favorite mirror for more details.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:24 PM   #4
johnmeehan

Original Poster
Thank you.

I guess I am a little naive when it comes to the world of Linux. Under the impression that "current" was not just a beta version.

I will try the clean-system and see if that helps. If not will reinstall and just do the 14.2 mirror.

Perhaps some of my confusion is due to the statement in the slackpkg documentation I downloaded that states:

"install-new

Install packages that were added to the Slackware distribution. Run this if you are upgrading your system to another Slackware version or if you are using Slackware -current"

So I can eliminate that and just run update and that will give me the current non-beta 14.2?

Old 11-10-2017, 10:37 AM   #5
johnmeehan

Original Poster
Reinstalled 14.2

Set mirror to 14.2

Ran

slackpkg update gpg
slackpkg update
slackpkg install-new
slackpkg upgrade-all

Keyboard is recognized in the gui mode.

Thanks to the above posters for the assistance they provided.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:16 PM   #6
bassmadrigal

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 2503Reputation: 2503Reputation: 2503Reputation: 2503Reputation: 2503Reputation: 2503Reputation: 2503Reputation: 2503Reputation: 2503Reputation: 2503Reputation: 2503
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmeehan View Post
Install packages that were added to the Slackware distribution. Run this if you are upgrading your system to another Slackware version or if you are using Slackware -current"

So I can eliminate that and just run update and that will give me the current non-beta 14.2?
99% of the time, yes. New packages being added to a stable release almost never happens (I looked it up and the last time it happened was in 2013 when ruby needed an update to fix a security issue and that update required a new package to be added to the distro). Most of the time, you can leave it off without issue, but if you include it when you run your slackpkg commands, it won't hurt anything.

Tags
keyboard