LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Linux From Scratch
User Name
Password
Linux From Scratch This Forum is for the discussion of LFS.
LFS is a project that provides you with the steps necessary to build your own custom Linux system.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-15-2017, 02:22 PM   #1
ordealbyfire83

Distribution: LFS, Ubuntu Hardy

Rep: Reputation: 42
mate-cpufreq-applet - prompt for user password (sudo) instead of root?

As the title suggests, I am wondering if it is possible to have the mate cpu frequency scaling applet prompt for sudo password instead of the root password? I'm posting this here because I've built mate for BLFS a couple of times, and other distributions handle this a bit differently.

I remember in Ubuntu this applet by default would prompt for sudo password and there was a way to run dpkg-reconfigure to enable the suid bit so that no password would be required. (When building this under BLFS the configure option to set suid bit seems to do nothing anyway.)

I suspect manually adding a suid bit could alleviate the need for a password, but I would prefer a password to be required - but just not the root password as I would otherwise like to lock the root account.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:20 AM   #2
spiky0011

Distribution: /LFS/Centos6.3/Debian

Rep: Reputation: 373Reputation: 373Reputation: 373Reputation: 373
Hi

Would it be possibe to edit the sudoers file

## User privilege specification
##
root ALL=(ALL) ALL
user ALL=PASSWD:/some program?

Old 12-30-2017, 01:19 AM   #3
emmett1
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Linux From Scratch

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ordealbyfire83 View Post
As the title suggests, I am wondering if it is possible to have the mate cpu frequency scaling applet prompt for sudo password instead of the root password? I'm posting this here because I've built mate for BLFS a couple of times, and other distributions handle this a bit differently.

I remember in Ubuntu this applet by default would prompt for sudo password and there was a way to run dpkg-reconfigure to enable the suid bit so that no password would be required. (When building this under BLFS the configure option to set suid bit seems to do nothing anyway.)

I suspect manually adding a suid bit could alleviate the need for a password, but I would prefer a password to be required - but just not the root password as I would otherwise like to lock the root account.
hey,

I think i've been on this problem before. Its asking root password instead user password when mounting partition with thunar, run things as root using pkexec command and etc. Its because of wrong permission/owner of these 2 directory:

Quote:
1) /etc/polkit-1/rules.d/
2) /usr/share/polkit-1/rules.d/
This the output of my 'ls -la /{etc,usr/share}/polkit-1/rules.d' after this problem fixed:

Quote:
# ls -la /{etc,usr/share}/polkit-1/rules.d
/etc/polkit-1/rules.d:
total 12
drwx------ 2 polkitd root 4096 Nov 21 07:02 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Oct 26 22:44 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 326 Nov 20 17:27 50-default.rules

/usr/share/polkit-1/rules.d:
total 16
drwx------ 2 polkitd root 4096 Dec 19 09:16 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Oct 31 23:26 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 186 Dec 17 00:42 org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.rules
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 264 Dec 19 09:16 org.gtk.vfs.file-operations.rules