LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-09-2021, 09:39 PM   #16
Tshane

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalDreamer View Post
Pat checks the forum so he probably saw problems people have but that doesn't mean he can do anything about them. The only people I've seen Pat have issues with are those that deserved it because of their bad attitude. No one wants to listen to a spoiled entitled brat that is spamming threads. People need to start a thread about their issues and share the information they have on it. If someone comes up with a solution, Pat may incorporate it into Slackware. He may even downgrade a particular piece of software if it can be shown that it is more stable.
but to not even acknowledge it shows very poor form, for outsiders looking in thats not a good sign. I notice that a lot, maybe thats why he does not run bug tracker. anyway if it all goes good on sunday its fine, if it blows up in my face, i'll restore backup, if i need stuff to run that doesnt, there always red hat or debian.

oh my i just realised when he sees this, I too will labelled a troll, especially for telling his friends who came in here and did not read before posting, only ponce is only one who contributed anything worth reading here, so thank you ponce!

Old 04-10-2021, 12:26 AM   #17
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshane View Post
another one who did not read my post
I read your post and didn't have an answer (since I don't run -current), but felt I had something worthwhile to share that might help your upgrade go smoother.

Quote:
this is my first time posting on lq but I have been a long time reader, so I should have expected usual suspects to troll
And why is my post a trolling? There have been many posts regarding mariadb with some saying it's working for them and others saying it's not. Nobby6 is one who says it isn't working for them and ponce says it is.

Ultimately, you'll need to find out for yourself, but since you are running a server you don't want to fail, the best solution would be to test it in a VM and see if it's working for you.

I'm here to help people... sometimes by providing things in addition to the original questions. With being a longtime reader, you should know that. Feel free to disregard if you want to live on the edge and upgrade to -current on your bare metal if you don't want to test it beforehand...

Old 04-10-2021, 01:15 AM   #18
ponce
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 4173Reputation: 4173Reputation: 4173Reputation: 4173Reputation: 4173Reputation: 4173Reputation: 4173Reputation: 4173Reputation: 4173Reputation: 4173Reputation: 4173
Quote:
great, thank you ponce, sounds like their problem wont be mine, I'll be do a full backup of os and databases are backed up hourly anyway.
sincerely I have no idea if their problem won't be yours, it may be that depending on your architecture and cpu (32bit on some older atoms, for example) you might have issues.
but as you have to migrate not only the OS (from 14.0 -> 14.1 -> 14.2 -> current if you want to keep the same installation but could be better to migrate data and configuration only) but also databases from mysql-5.5.x to mariadb-10.5.x (and some things changes), like bassimadrigal says, I suggest you to do a test installation (in a virtual machine?) first, to be sure not to be bitten by some showstoppers.

EDIT: if you want to run mariadb on slackware current on a cpu that doesn't support at least sse 4.1 instructions wait until the next mariadb release, see https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...4/#post6240172

Last edited by ponce; 04-12-2021 at 07:59 AM.

Old 04-13-2021, 10:08 PM   #19
Tshane

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmadrigal View Post
I read your post and didn't have an answer (since I don't run -current), but felt I had something worthwhile to share that might help your upgrade go smoother.

And why is my post a trolling? There have been many posts regarding mariadb with some saying it's working for them and others saying it's not. Nobby6 is one who says it isn't working for them and ponce says it is.

Ultimately, you'll need to find out for yourself, but since you are running a server you don't want to fail, the best solution would be to test it in a VM and see if it's working for you.

I'm here to help people... sometimes by providing things in addition to the original questions. With being a longtime reader, you should know that. Feel free to disregard if you want to live on the edge and upgrade to -current on your bare metal if you don't want to test it beforehand...
When someone specifically asks for some matching specific condition criteria, and you chime in knowingly not meeting that criteria and unable to answer the question, is trolling.

Old 04-13-2021, 10:16 PM   #20
Tshane

Original Poster
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponce View Post
sincerely I have no idea if their problem won't be yours, it may be that depending on your architecture and cpu (32bit on some older atoms, for example) you might have issues.
but as you have to migrate not only the OS (from 14.0 -> 14.1 -> 14.2 -> current if you want to keep the same installation but could be better to migrate data and configuration only) but also databases from mysql-5.5.x to mariadb-10.5.x (and some things changes), like bassimadrigal says, I suggest you to do a test installation (in a virtual machine?) first, to be sure not to be bitten by some showstoppers.

EDIT: if you want to run mariadb on slackware current on a cpu that doesn't support at least sse 4.1 instructions wait until the next mariadb release, see https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...4/#post6240172
my server is 64bit, by all accountd mariadb is only screwed up on 32bit, so it all went smooth, thanks for your feedback, no need to reinstall backups

Ohh, no, I did not go through this version to version to version yadda yadda yadda I went direct to current, I read the updating and changelogs and was prepared for the manual interventions, it actually was pretty painless, I did blacklist my sBO's and sorted everything else out, took maybe 20 minutes more after the upgrade checking and double checking of course I do not use kde on this machine so maybe that helped my upgrade be painless.

Thanks ponce

Old 04-14-2021, 10:17 AM   #21
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656
Quote:
When someone specifically asks for some matching specific condition criteria, and you chime in knowingly not meeting that criteria and unable to answer the question, is trolling.
No, it isn't. "Trolling is a person who starts flame wars or intentionally upsets people on the Internet" (per Wikipedia). There was no flame war and I wasn't "intentionally" trying to upset you. I was trying to be helpful and I got spit on! Read my initial post again and seriously tell me that I intended malice in that post... Go ahead, I'll wait.

Just because you didn't want any actual advice to actually ensure you don't have a problem instead of taking a poll which would not guarantee you won't have a problem doesn't mean that people providing that advice are trolls. Grow up!

It has since been determined that the mariadb issue is due to upstream mistakenly forcing a CPU instruction on 32bit hardware that not all CPUs support. So, while mariadb would work perfect for some 32bit users and all 64bit users, some 32bit users will run into issues with it. ponce helped them figure it out because he dug out an older 32bit machine he had and tested mariadb on there and found it crashed when it didn't on his newer hardware. So, somebody who said it worked fine for them found out it didn't work fine in every case. *GASP*

So you only asking people if it worked would've given you extremely inaccurate results. But after you doubled down in your later posts, it seems you actually desired inaccurate information. At least the fixed version of mariadb will arrive in -current soon, so if your hardware was affected, it would work fine on your system once that package is made available.

I can't believe someone would be so childish to call someone trying to provide help a troll. Wow...

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:54 AM   #22
truepatriot76

Distribution: slackware64-current

Rep: Reputation: 195Reputation: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmadrigal View Post
I can't believe someone would be so childish to call someone trying to provide help a troll. Wow...
No good deed goes unpunished. FWIW, I appreciate your posts over the years, and willingness to help.

Old 04-14-2021, 11:18 AM   #23
dr.s

Distribution: Slackware64-current

Rep: Reputation: 156Reputation: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by truepatriot76 View Post
No good deed goes unpunished. FWIW, I appreciate your posts over the years, and willingness to help.
+1
Lost count of how many issues his posts helped to resolve.

Old 04-14-2021, 11:34 AM   #24
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor

Rep: Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106
Quote:
another one who did not read my post

this is my first time posting on lq but I have been a long time reader, so I should have expected usual suspects to troll
Really. Long time reader? I guess not on the Slackware forum then. Obstinate troll as you've shown yourself to be, deserves a PLONK! and then a place on the ignore list for insulting people who have for a long time helping lots of people here on the forum and were prepared to do you the same favor - for free.

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:22 AM   #25
Tshane

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
Really. Long time reader? I guess not on the Slackware forum then. Obstinate troll as you've shown yourself to be, deserves a PLONK! and then a place on the ignore list for insulting people who have for a long time helping lots of people here on the forum and were prepared to do you the same favor - for free.
im going to educate you eric, todays lesson is learning that you do not have to subscribe to the forum to read it, there you go. Im on about a dozen other forums, about half of which i am not subscriber, i feel no need to.

insulting ? aw poor lil boy, you dont like it when someone calls you out for whqt you do to people, but its perfectly ok for you to do it isnt it, god.
lastly feel free to plonk me, once you stop drinking the plonk.

funny how people call people a troll when they dont like the truth mirror in front of them.

and i expect you and your fan club, teh in-crowd we call it, have all reported my posts, its how controlling freaks like you and your fan club rule forums, you wont use usenet because you would be slaughtered for teh way you act.

Last edited by Tshane; 04-15-2021 at 05:24 AM.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:24 AM   #26
Tonus

Distribution: Slackware-15.0

Rep: Reputation: 513Reputation: 513Reputation: 513Reputation: 513Reputation: 513Reputation: 513
I do not believe you could ever educate anybody.

Shall I share my assumptions you threaten others of bad destiny on usenet because you never could assume your behaviour IRL ?

Sure no. Not here to educate anyone.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:51 AM   #27
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru

Quote:
im going to educate you eric, todays lesson is learning that you do not have to subscribe to the forum to read it, there you go. Im on about a dozen other forums, about half of which i am not subscriber, i feel no need to.
And you continue to be hard of understanding, so "im going to educate you". Eric wasn't calling you out for a new account, it was for this portion of the text you quoted.

Quote:
insulting people who have for a long time helping lots of people here on the forum and were prepared to do you the same favor - for free.
============================

Quote:
funny how people call people a troll when they dont like the truth mirror in front of them.
These you?

Quote:
nobby6 was right you're just trolling my thread, now go away
Quote:
I should have expected usual suspects to troll
Quote:
they are incapable of reading properly, nor answering with what a OP was asking. they call that trolling.
How was it looking into that truth mirror?

Old 04-15-2021, 12:50 PM   #28
michaelk

Rep: Reputation: 5894Reputation: 5894Reputation: 5894Reputation: 5894Reputation: 5894Reputation: 5894Reputation: 5894Reputation: 5894Reputation: 5894Reputation: 5894Reputation: 5894
Per the rules:
Quote:
Do not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, hostile or insulting.
Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated.
Flame Wars will not be tolerated.
Do not post if you do not have anything constructive to say in the post.
When posting in an existing thread, ensure that what you're posting is on-topic and relevant to the thread. If the content of your post will interfere with the current discussion, you should start a new thread.
Being combative to your fellow members is not constructive. If this continues the thread will be closed.

Old 04-15-2021, 10:48 PM   #29
andrew.46

Rep: Reputation: 493Reputation: 493Reputation: 493Reputation: 493Reputation: 493
Quote:
[...] you wont use usenet because you would be slaughtered for teh way you act.
I realise I am moving off topic a little, my apologies. Usenet is dying but I am still there after many years. Which newsgroups are you referring to?

Old 04-16-2021, 05:20 AM   #30
Nobby6

Distribution: Slackware 64

Rep: Reputation: 212Reputation: 212Reputation: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby6 View Post
As one of the two jira reporters, I can confirm the issue is not resolved, as the responses in Charlie's ticket eludes to, it appears limited in failure to those using Pentium CPU's, in particular older CPU's, or at least that's all we know about at this time.

I can't recall if I made comment on it on here or not, but others have and have pretty much been ignored, so I might have not for also fear of being labelled a troll like Pat did one already.

In the dev world this results in " I got no clue it only affect X people I can count on one hand so I will pretend I dont see it " in years gone by with projects I was involved in, I too am guilty of such offences :P

FYI, this issue is confirmed resolved on 32bit

MariaDB [mysql]> SELECT VERSION();
+-----------------+
| VERSION() |
+-----------------+
| 10.5.10-MariaDB |
+-----------------+
1 row in set (0.000 sec)

MariaDB [mysql]>

2 members found this post helpful.