LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-31-2021, 08:37 AM   #1
timsoft

Distribution: slackware 14.2 64 and 32bit and arm, ubuntu and rasbian

Rep: Reputation: 107Reputation: 107
Question Blender and ffmpeg4

Has anyone had success building Blender (sbo slackbuild) with ffmpeg4 instead of ffmpeg3?

It is the only slackbuild I use which so far is refusing to play ball. All the others (qt5, audacity, vlc,kicad, shotcut, obs-studio) seem to be okay with ffmpeg4.

for me it gets as far as....
Quote:
[ 6%] Building C object source/blender/makesrna/intern/CMakeFiles/makesrna.dir/rna_scene.c.o
In file included from /tmp/SBo/blender-2.83.8/source/blender/makesrna/intern/rna_scene.c:64:0:
/tmp/SBo/blender-2.83.8/intern/ffmpeg/ffmpeg_compat.h:23:34: fatal error: libavformat/avformat.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
source/blender/makesrna/intern/CMakeFiles/makesrna.dir/build.make:1238: recipe for target 'source/blender/makesrna/intern/CMakeFiles/makesrna.dir/rna_scene.c.o' failed
make[2]: *** [source/blender/makesrna/intern/CMakeFiles/makesrna.dir/rna_scene.c.o] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:6976: recipe for target 'source/blender/makesrna/intern/CMakeFiles/makesrna.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [source/blender/makesrna/intern/CMakeFiles/makesrna.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:160: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2
and in my environment i have
Code:
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib64/ffmpeg4/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/local/share/pkgconfig:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig

Old 03-31-2021, 09:41 AM   #2
mumahendras3

Distribution: Slackware-current with s6 + s6-rc + s6-linux-init

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I don't use blender so I can't help further than pointing out below message
Quote:
In file included from /tmp/SBo/blender-2.83.8/source/blender/makesrna/intern/rna_scene.c:64:0:
/tmp/SBo/blender-2.83.8/intern/ffmpeg/ffmpeg_compat.h:23:34: fatal error: libavformat/avformat.h: No such file or directory
So it seems libavformat/avformat.h was missing.

Old 03-31-2021, 10:55 AM   #3
timsoft

Original Poster
Quote:
ls /usr/include/ffmpeg4/libavformat/
produces
Quote:
avformat.h avio.h version.h
which can also be seen from
Quote:
cat /var/log/packages/ffmpeg4-4.3.2-x86_64-1_SBo
package.
so it is there, it is blender that is not finding it.
It must be hard coded where it looks, because pkgconfig finds it thanks to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH env variable for all the other software that uses ffmpeg4 as mentioned in the first post.

I am attempting to create the package with CUDA=no and EMBREE=no

because the build process is large, it is hard to figure out what configuration is created by cmake, and what is not, but all I can say is it doesn't work with ffmpeg4 for me. If anyone has got it to go (with ffmpeg4), please comment how :-)

Old 03-31-2021, 11:15 AM   #4
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 5648Reputation: 5648Reputation: 5648Reputation: 5648Reputation: 5648Reputation: 5648Reputation: 5648Reputation: 5648Reputation: 5648Reputation: 5648Reputation: 5648
Blender isn't designed to look for the header files where the ffmpeg4 SlackBuild packages them (/usr/include/ffmpeg4/ to prevent clashing with ffmpeg3). You would need to modify the Blender source to look in the proper locations, or, if you don't intend to have ffmpeg3 installed at all, you could probably symlink the locations or rebuild ffmpeg4 to use just /usr/include).

If you want to change the blender source to point to the correct header locations, it might be quite the hunt. There are probably more ffmpeg headers that blender is going to look for in the wrong location. Just checking for #include <libavformat/avformat.h> shows the following files:

Code:
intern/ffmpeg/ffmpeg_compat.h:#include <libavformat/avformat.h>
extern/audaspace/plugins/ffmpeg/FFMPEGWriter.h:#include <libavformat/avformat.h>
extern/audaspace/plugins/ffmpeg/FFMPEGReader.h:#include <libavformat/avformat.h>
source/blender/imbuf/intern/util.c:#  include <libavformat/avformat.h>
source/blender/imbuf/intern/IMB_anim.h:#  include <libavformat/avformat.h>
source/blender/imbuf/intern/anim_movie.c:#  include <libavformat/avformat.h>
source/blender/python/intern/bpy_app_ffmpeg.c:#  include <libavformat/avformat.h>
source/blender/makesrna/intern/rna_scene.c:#  include <libavformat/avformat.h>
source/blender/blenkernel/intern/writeffmpeg.c:#  include <libavformat/avformat.h>
For your error here, you'd need to add the following into the SlackBuild after you cd into the source directory but before compilation, but you might need to do this with every file listed above:

Code:
sed -i 's|libavformat/avformat.h|ffmpeg4/libavformat/avformat.h|' intern/ffmpeg/ffmpeg_compat.h
In reality, if you don't intend to use ffmpeg3 at all, you could simply change the SlackBuild for ffmpeg4 to remove the --incdir=/usr/include/ffmpeg4 \ line in the ./configure command. It might also be possible to tell blender where to expect the headers for ffmpeg, but I didn't see anything for it in the CMakeLists.txt.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:53 AM   #5
timsoft

Original Poster
thanks bassmadrigal. I'm chatting with chris on #slackbuilds (the slackbuild maintainer) and he has come up with some stuff and is looking at it. If we get it going, I'll post the info here for everyone, although it might make it into the slackbuild - you never know :-)
If all fails, I might take up your last suggestion of fixing ffmpeg4 slackbuild. I am only really interested in having one version on my system, provided that all the packages I use will work with that version.

Old 04-01-2021, 11:00 PM   #6
chris.willing

Distribution: Slackware,LFS

Rep: Reputation: 466Reputation: 466Reputation: 466Reputation: 466Reputation: 466
I've pushed a new iteration of the SlackBuild for Blender to use ffmpeg4 (from SBo's ffmpeg4 SlackBuild). This applies only to Slackware 14.2 (not -current, which has its own ffmpeg4 package). To try it before the next SBo public update, see: https://git.slackbuilds.org/slackbui...illing/updates

It assumes the builder has taken care of any ffmpeg4-related requirements of the prerequisites. Use of ffmpeg4 in the Blender build is dictated by the FORCE_FFMPEG4 environment variable. Enable it with something like:
Code:
    FORCE_FFMPEG4=yes sh Blender.SlackBuild
chris

Old 04-01-2021, 11:33 PM   #7
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 5648Reputation: 5648Reputation: 5648Reputation: 5648Reputation: 5648Reputation: 5648Reputation: 5648Reputation: 5648Reputation: 5648Reputation: 5648Reputation: 5648
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.willing View Post
I've pushed a new iteration of the SlackBuild for Blender to use ffmpeg4 (from SBo's ffmpeg4 SlackBuild). This applies only to Slackware 14.2 (not -current, which has its own ffmpeg4 package). To try it before the next SBo public update, see: https://git.slackbuilds.org/slackbui...illing/updates

It assumes the builder has taken care of any ffmpeg4-related requirements of the prerequisites. Use of ffmpeg4 in the Blender build is dictated by the FORCE_FFMPEG4 environment variable. Enable it with something like:
Code:
    FORCE_FFMPEG4=yes sh Blender.SlackBuild
chris
Much better idea than mine!

Minor suggestion if you want to make your sed a bit shorter... You can use the & symbol to duplicate your search in the replacement, meaning you could have the line be:

Code:
sed -i -e "s|env={\"ASAN_OPTIONS\": \"exitcode=0\"|&,\"LD_LIBRARY_PATH\":\"/usr/lib$LIBDIRSUFFIX/ffmpeg4\"}|g" \
  doc/manpage/blender.1.py
Instead of:

Code:
sed -i -e "s|env={\"ASAN_OPTIONS\": \"exitcode=0\"}|env={\"ASAN_OPTIONS\": \"exitcode=0\",\"LD_LIBRARY_PATH\":\"/usr/lib$LIBDIRSUFFIX/ffmpeg4\"}|g" \
  doc/manpage/blender.1.py
In fact, because "exitcode=0" is only used the two times in the file that you need to update, you can simplify the sed even more:

Code:
sed "s|\"exitcode=0\"|&,\"LD_LIBRARY_PATH\":\"/usr/lib$LIBDIRSUFFIX/ffmpeg4\"|g" blender.1.py

Old 04-02-2021, 02:48 AM   #8
chris.willing

Distribution: Slackware,LFS

Rep: Reputation: 466Reputation: 466Reputation: 466Reputation: 466Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmadrigal View Post
Minor suggestion if you want to make your sed a bit shorter... You can use the & symbol to duplicate your search in the replacement
Thanks for the tip - I'll try it out and update the update.

[edit: the shortened sed was good so SlackBuild updated. Thanks @bassmadrigal]

chris

Last edited by chris.willing; 04-02-2021 at 03:31 AM.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-06-2021, 05:48 AM   #9
timsoft

Original Poster
many thanks chris.willing and bassmadrigal for solving the problem and adding the ffmpeg4 support to the Blender slackbuild.

Tags
blender, ffmpeg4