LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - Installation
User Name
Password
Slackware - Installation This forum is for the discussion of installation issues with Slackware.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-23-2019, 08:06 AM   #1

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Unhappy Installed Slackware by flashing one of the CD iso's to a USB. Turns out that CD was part 1 of 6. So how do I install from the dvd iso?

My current understanding is that on the Slackware torrents page:
http://www.slackware.com/getslack/torrents.php
there are 6 CD iso's that work by installing them disc by disc.
(the reason I torrent is because direct downloads rarely work for me).

I don't know how one would install them with a USB drive though, would you flash one iso to a USB, liveboot/install from usb, then rinse and repeat with the other 5 iso's? Because when I installed the first disc (I haven't installed any other discs), I was never prompted to enter another. So perhaps I just misunderstand how the CD installation works? (I get that they're supposed to be burnt to 6 individual CD's, I'm just saying I can't really think of how it'd work by flashing them to a USB instead).

Now, my installation went fine apart from the fact that a lot of random, seemingly important commands are not recognized at all, preventing me from further setting up my install. I assume this is because I only used the first of the 6 CD's so those commands don't even exist on my system.

Anyway, I was told that I should've used the DVD iso instead as it's just one thing, not 6. (when I installed the first CD, I didn't know it was part 1 of 6) and that if I flash the DVD iso, I can just install any missing packages from the mounted USB drive without having to completely start over.

So, my questions are:
on the slackware torrents page, it lists 2 DVD torrents.
Quote:
Slackware 14.2 x86 DVD ISO (Includes everything except for source code)
Slackware 14.2 source code DVD ISO (The complete source code tree for both x86 and x86_64)
my computer is a 32-bit machine, I just wanted to check, the one I should download is the first one, right? not the second? if that's the case, could you explain what I wouldn't need the source code?

And someone told me that the command I should use is:
Code:
find a/ ap/ d/ e/ f/ k/ kde/ l/ n/ t/ tcl/ x/ xap/ xfce/ y/ -name *.t?z -exec upgradepkg --install-new {} +
but I tried doing this earlier after flashing the first DVD iso and it just said there were no such directories as "upgradepkg" and every package listed there.
(The USB drive was mounted properly and all of the packages there were present within the Slackware folder)
So any idea what I did wrong or what I should do to get everything I need sorted out?
(btw in the command I posted, is
Quote:
-name
a placeholder of some kind I was meant to replace with something else? or do I literally just type "-name"?)

Old 06-24-2019, 11:24 AM   #2
ponce
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 4174Reputation: 4174Reputation: 4174Reputation: 4174Reputation: 4174Reputation: 4174Reputation: 4174Reputation: 4174Reputation: 4174Reputation: 4174Reputation: 4174
Hi 700, welcome to LQ!

Please read the docs available at the links below.

https://www.slackwiki.com/Install_Sl...SB_Flash_Drive

http://docs.slackware.com/slackware:install

Old 06-24-2019, 12:01 PM   #3
ehartman

Rep: Reputation: 888Reputation: 888Reputation: 888Reputation: 888Reputation: 888Reputation: 888Reputation: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by 700 View Post
there are 6 CD iso's that work by installing them disc by disc.
(the reason I torrent is because direct downloads rarely work for me).

I don't know how one would install them with a USB drive though, would you flash one iso to a USB, liveboot/install from usb, then rinse and repeat with the other 5 iso's?
No, the CD images are essentially meant for systems that do not have a DVD drive nor USB.
The first one is the main installer and the next 3 are "additional packages", like the DE (Desktop Environment), etc.
The final 2 are the sources plus the book, etc. - never needed for install.
Quote:
Anyway, I was told that I should've used the DVD iso instead as it's just one thing, not 6. (when I installed the first CD, I didn't know it was part 1 of 6) and that if I flash the DVD iso, I can just install any missing packages from the mounted USB drive without having to completely start over.

So, my questions are:
on the slackware torrents page, it lists 2 DVD torrents.
There are actually three, but the third is in another directory (slackware64-version):
The 32-bit install DVD, contains everything from the first 4 CD's;
The 64-bit one (all the same packages, but then compiled in 64-bits)
The source DVD, contains the 5th and 6th CD and some extra's (like the 64-bit slackbuilds), as I said, never needed for install, only when you want to REcompile (maybe with patches) one of the packages or when you want to read the book.
So for a 32-bit system you only need the first:
slackware-14.2-install-dvd.iso
(and for a 64-bit one slackware64-14.2-install-dvd.iso)

Quote:
my computer is a 32-bit machine, I just wanted to check, the one I should download is the first one, right? not the second?
Most computers are both, unless you got a Pentium 4 or older as CPU.
Quote:
And someone told me that the command I should use is:
Code:
find a/ ap/ d/ e/ f/ k/ kde/ l/ n/ t/ tcl/ x/ xap/ xfce/ y/ -name *.t?z -exec upgradepkg --install-new {} +
It needs a "cd /mnt/image/slackware" first, all those directories are SUBdirectories of the slackware directory ON the DVD (image, so mounted, either as DVD or USB).
Furthermore the characters * and ? should be escaped (by prefixing them with a \) as they are special to the shell. Like: "-name \*.t\?z"

Quote:
do I literally just type "-name"?)
The -name option uses as argument the "*.t?z" that's behind it and - when properly escaped, will "find" all the package files that are IN all those subdirectories.
You must have installed "pkgtools" (and a few others) for the rest of the find commandline to work, because it tries to INSTALL all of the packages found.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:32 PM   #4

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehartman View Post
No, the CD images are essentially meant for systems that do not have a DVD drive nor USB.
The first one is the main installer and the next 3 are "additional packages", like the DE (Desktop Environment), etc.
The final 2 are the sources plus the book, etc. - never needed for install.

There are actually three, but the third is in another directory (slackware64-version):
The 32-bit install DVD, contains everything from the first 4 CD's;
The 64-bit one (all the same packages, but then compiled in 64-bits)
The source DVD, contains the 5th and 6th CD and some extra's (like the 64-bit slackbuilds), as I said, never needed for install, only when you want to REcompile (maybe with patches) one of the packages or when you want to read the book.
So for a 32-bit system you only need the first:
slackware-14.2-install-dvd.iso
(and for a 64-bit one slackware64-14.2-install-dvd.iso)

Most computers are both, unless you got a Pentium 4 or older as CPU.

It needs a "cd /mnt/image/slackware" first, all those directories are SUBdirectories of the slackware directory ON the DVD (image, so mounted, either as DVD or USB).
Furthermore the characters * and ? should be escaped (by prefixing them with a \) as they are special to the shell. Like: "-name \*.t\?z"

The -name option uses as argument the "*.t?z" that's behind it and - when properly escaped, will "find" all the package files that are IN all those subdirectories.
You must have installed "pkgtools" (and a few others) for the rest of the find commandline to work, because it tries to INSTALL all of the packages found.
Thank you for your response! it seems to be working perfectly! I'm installing the packages as I type this!
As a follow up question, why are those backslashes required in the first place? And what're the curly braces and the plus sign for near the end?

Old 06-25-2019, 04:27 PM   #5
ehartman

Rep: Reputation: 888Reputation: 888Reputation: 888Reputation: 888Reputation: 888Reputation: 888Reputation: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by 700 View Post
As a follow up question, why are those backslashes required in the first place? And what're the curly braces and the plus sign for near the end?
a) when the \'s aren't there the shell will replace "*.t?z" with all of the matched filenames in the CURRENT directory only, so the find will never return any of those names in SUBdirectories.
The \ tells the shell: keep OFF (it will remove the \'s but pass * and ? ON to find to handle those itself)

b) the {} is a placeholder for "the filename found" and the + says: pass multiple filenames at once. They are part of the syntax of the (extended) -exec option for find
Quote:
-exec command {} +
This variant of the -exec action runs the specified command on the selected files, but the command line is built by appending each selected file name at the end; the total number of invocations of the command will be much less than the number of matched files. The command line is built in much the same way that xargs builds its command lines. Only one instance of `{}' is allowed within the command. The command is executed in the starting directory.
(from "man find").

PS: although man pages are often hard to read for a beginner, they do give all of those options and parameters. Even experts use them often to remember how some of those seldom used options did work.
The "xargs" command was the way to do this before find was extended with the "+" variant of the -exec action.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:57 PM   #6

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehartman View Post
a) when the \'s aren't there the shell will replace "*.t?z" with all of the matched filenames in the CURRENT directory only, so the find will never return any of those names in SUBdirectories.
The \ tells the shell: keep OFF (it will remove the \'s but pass * and ? ON to find to handle those itself)

b) the {} is a placeholder for "the filename found" and the + says: pass multiple filenames at once. They are part of the syntax of the (extended) -exec option for find

(from "man find").

PS: although man pages are often hard to read for a beginner, they do give all of those options and parameters. Even experts use them often to remember how some of those seldom used options did work.
The "xargs" command was the way to do this before find was extended with the "+" variant of the -exec action.
thanks. I'll go through some manpages and try and familiarize myself.