LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-18-2011, 02:16 AM   #1
sunnieside-up

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
How to remove KDE menu categories

Hi all,

I'm wondering if it's possible to remove some of the menu categories. There are currently 5, which I think is a bit excessive... I'd like to remove the "Computer" and "Recently Used"... how can I do this? Thanks!

Old 09-18-2011, 02:49 AM   #2
cascade9

Distribution: Debian, aptosid

Rep: Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934
Kmenuedit might let you do that. I dont know for sure, I've never tried editing the kickoff menu....I dont even use the kickoff menu, I switch to 'classic menu style'.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:22 AM   #3
sunnieside-up

Distribution: Debian

Original Poster
Kmenuedit only lets me edit the actual applications in the menu, not the layout itself.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #4
DavidMcCann
LQ Veteran

Distribution: CentOS, Xubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 1744Reputation: 1744Reputation: 1744Reputation: 1744Reputation: 1744Reputation: 1744Reputation: 1744Reputation: 1744Reputation: 1744Reputation: 1744Reputation: 1744
You could try looking for configuration files: try searching for "menu" in /etc. You may not find anything useful, though. In Gnome you can edit the sections of the menu that deal with software and documentation, but the Places menu (which covers Computer and Recent documents) doesn't seem configurable without getting at the source code.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:08 AM   #5
TBotNik

Me Too

All,

I'm jumping in here, because this thread is working toward what I want to know. I'm constantly building machines in Kubuntu and want to capture the "Icons" from the source machine and dup them onto the target/new machine being built.

What I need to know is where are the "desktop" and "panel" icons stored and do those icon files contain the location info as to whether it is panel, with order of appearance, left to right on the panel; and if desktop, where on the desktop is is located.

I spend 4-6 hours after an install, just getting icons properly displayed, so knowing this, so they can be captured and reproduced by either just a "copy" or a bash script to place them, would be great.

Cheers!

TBNK

PS
Also need to know how to capture and reproduce the "applcations launcher" icons as well!

TBNK

Last edited by TBotNik; 02-27-2019 at 10:11 AM.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:31 PM   #6
Brains

Distribution: Debian testing

Rep: Reputation: 241Reputation: 241Reputation: 241
Don't seem that hard to me, amazing what you can do with a right click. So... I right clicked on Computer there at the bottom of the menu and selected "Configure Application Launcher", both Fedora and Debian are the same. A "Application Launcher Settings--Plasma" window pops up. Under Menu Buttons are two rows of icons, "Visible Tabs" and "Hidden Tabs", I left click on the "Computer" and drag it down to the "Hidden Tabs" row, clicked "Apply" and voila! "Computer" is gone from the bottom of the menu. I figured, heck I don't ever use it either, so just left it there and moved the "History" icon down there too and clicked "Apply" again. Kinda looks naked now but we'll see how it goes.

@ TBotNik
You might find a lot of your answers here.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:53 PM   #7
TBotNik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brains View Post
Don't seem that hard to me, amazing what you can do with a right click. So... I right clicked on Computer there at the bottom of the menu and selected "Configure Application Launcher", both Fedora and Debian are the same. A "Application Launcher Settings--Plasma" window pops up. Under Menu Buttons are two rows of icons, "Visible Tabs" and "Hidden Tabs", I left click on the "Computer" and drag it down to the "Hidden Tabs" row, clicked "Apply" and voila! "Computer" is gone from the bottom of the menu. I figured, heck I don't ever use it either, so just left it there and moved the "History" icon down there too and clicked "Apply" again. Kinda looks naked now but we'll see how it goes.

@ TBotNik
You might find a lot of your answers here.
Brains,

Sure easy if everytime you build a new machine you don't mind manually spending about 4 hours copying and arranging icons that should/could be copied in and positioned, with a BASH script, but I have yet to find where these are actually stored or reside, so I can automate the processs!

But thanks for the input!

Cheers!

TBNK

Old 03-15-2019, 08:39 PM   #8
frankbell
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Debian, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with

Rep: Reputation: 4056Reputation: 4056Reputation: 4056Reputation: 4056Reputation: 4056Reputation: 4056Reputation: 4056Reputation: 4056Reputation: 4056Reputation: 4056Reputation: 4056
You might take a look at this thread which asks a similar question: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...dd-4175650180/