LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Other *NIX Forums > *BSD
User Name
Password
*BSD This forum is for the discussion of all BSD variants.
FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, etc.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-09-2019, 07:02 AM   #1
coralfang

Distribution: Slackware, FreeBSD

Rep: Reputation: 297Reputation: 297Reputation: 297
FreeBSD for Raspberry Pi B+ ?

Hi, wanting to install FreeBSD to my ageing Raspberry Pi B+.

I'm aware most places point to http://www.raspbsd.org/raspberrypi.html as for obtaining the image, however the link seems to be missing for A / B devices.

(See Screenshot)

Does the image for Raspberry Pi 2 work with the B+ ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-07-09-125952_1920x1080_scrot.png
Views:	23
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	30876  

Old 07-10-2019, 04:21 AM   #2
fatmac
LQ Guru

Distribution: Mainly Devuan, antiX, & Void, with Tiny Core, Fatdog, & BSD thrown in.

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I see it doesn't specifically give an A / B distro, but I think you might be able to use the armV6 version stated for the RPi2, as I believe that is the same processor, worth a try I'd think.

Old 07-20-2019, 07:16 AM   #3
Philip Lacroix

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 574Reputation: 574Reputation: 574Reputation: 574Reputation: 574Reputation: 574
Hi. FreeBSD supports the Pi as a Tier 2 (developmental) architecture. A few years ago I found this page on the FreeBSD wiki: FreeBSD/ARM on the Raspberry Pi family. Although I have never used that information (the reason is mentioned in the next paragraph) it looks like it has been kept fairly up to date.

If you want a BSD system that supports your Pi board very well, you might also consider NetBSD. Board versions 1, 2 and 3 are currently supported by the official project (see the evbarm port details for the Pi). The first generation should use the evbarm-earmv6hf port variant. I personally have NetBSD running nicely on a Pi 1 model B (rev. 1.2).