LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-07-2019, 07:58 PM   #16
Tecolote

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by linus72 View Post
Tecolote if I were you I would try various live distros and see if the same results happen, that would give some insight into whether its MX, your HDD or something else. Especially try ones not Debian or Ubuntu based and see what happens.
Unfortunately of the twenty some LiveCDs I have tried out over the past couple years, only MX Linux, AntiX, TAILS, and Linux Mint passed my minimum requirement (must connect to the internet on its own). I have given up looking. I do have these though (on DVD), and will put each to the test. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 07-07-2019, 11:41 PM   #17
rokytnji
LQ Veteran

Distribution: AntiX 17

Rep: Reputation: 2823Reputation: 2823Reputation: 2823Reputation: 2823Reputation: 2823Reputation: 2823Reputation: 2823Reputation: 2823Reputation: 2823Reputation: 2823Reputation: 2823
Top is in AntiX, MX and every other distro I have ever tried out. Even Damn small Linux has top.

Maybe this link will help find/answer your query

https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/find-o...ound-on-linux/

and teach you a little about using terminal in linux.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:27 AM   #18
Tecolote

Original Poster
Quote:
Tecolote if I were you I would try various live distros and see if the same results happen, that would give some insight into whether its MX, your HDD or something else. Especially try ones not Debian or Ubuntu based and see what happens.
I took your advice today and tried out Linux Mint 18.3 Mate and AntiX (not sure what version as I'm still using it right now). The Linux Mint threw the HDD into superspin cycle within ten minutes of surfing the web. Fastest ever. The AntiX I have been using now for about two hours, with silent running from the HDD. I have misplaced my TAILS so not tried it yet. It would appear AntiX has something (or doesn't have something) MX Linux and Linux Mint has (or doesn't have).

Unfortunately AntiX is harder for me to use than Linux Mint, as Linux Mint is harder to use than MX Linux. Guess I could always just use it to access the internet, shopping, banking, etc., although I have not managed to figure out how to turn on its firewall, so not real comfortable with this idea.

Old 07-09-2019, 06:19 AM   #19
linus72
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slack14.2/Many

Rep: Reputation: 464Reputation: 464Reputation: 464Reputation: 464Reputation: 464
AntiX does not use systemd, which debian and ubuntu (Mint) do use.
That may be the key?
Have you tried MX linux? It's like a bigger version of AntiX with more stuff easier to use maybe?
Here is a list of distros not using systemd, I'd recommend you try some of their live cd/usb isos and see what happens?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...ithout_systemd

Last edited by linus72; 07-09-2019 at 06:21 AM.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:32 PM   #20
Tecolote

Original Poster
Quote:
AntiX does not use systemd, which debian and ubuntu (Mint) do use.
That may be the key?
Have you tried MX linux? It's like a bigger version of AntiX with more stuff easier to use maybe?
Here is a list of distros not using systemd, I'd recommend you try some of their live cd/usb isos and see what happens?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...ithout_systemd
If you will refer back to the beginning, you will see this post was started on MX Linux, and it throwing my HDD into overdrive. MX Linux is my preferred distro, but until the mystery of the speedfreak HDD is solved, I just cannot use MX Linux. It could be nothing, but my paranoia is screaming that this is a bad sign that contents of my HDD is being downloaded. Since Linux Mint does the same, it's also benched.

Today I again took AntiX on a four hour test drive, and again the HDD has remained silent, so it looks like I'm stuck using it for now. Also, today I figured out how to turn on the AntiX firewall, so at least now it's more secure. When the tech guy comes by for his bimonthly visit, I'll hand the 'Mystery of MX Linux and the Out-of-Control HDD' over to him to deal with. I'm an XP Pro user teaching myself Linux, but I'm a GUI sorta guy, and have zero interest in CLI stuff. As for MX Linux and systemd (https://mxlinux.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43899), I got no clue...users manual says its not enabled, but these guys seem to say different. If my hard drive throwing a fit is just systemd acting weird, that would not be a problem. My concern is that either contents of the hard drive are being scanned/downloaded, or the LiveCD is writing to the hard drive and thereby putting my XP Pro into peril.

I'll look over the list, though I only use CD/DVD. When I had the PC at the computer shop, I had the boot order set to CD/DVD, secondary HDD (currently empty), primary HDD (XP Pro), then comes anything else...which is probably USB drives. I'm sure there is a way to force XP Pro to give way to USB boot, but I got no clue how, and not keen to learn. I just don't fancy flash drives.

Last edited by Tecolote; 07-11-2019 at 11:38 PM.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:35 AM   #21
anticapitalista
antiX

Distribution: antiX using herbstluftwm, fluxbox, IceWM and jwm.

Rep: Reputation: 123Reputation: 123
"...so it looks like I'm stuck using it for now."
""
I think you should be a bit more appreciative of antiX since it 'solved' your problem.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:11 AM   #22
anticapitalista
antiX

Distribution: antiX using herbstluftwm, fluxbox, IceWM and jwm.

Rep: Reputation: 123Reputation: 123
BTW you should also post your hardware specs. Maybe your laptop is too 'old' for a 'modern' distro like Mint/MX