LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Security
User Name
Password
Linux - Security This forum is for all security related questions.
Questions, tips, system compromises, firewalls, etc. are all included here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-12-2019, 06:29 AM   #16
wpeckham
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, RedHat, DSL, Puppy, CentOS, Knoppix, Mint-DE, Sparky, VSIDO, tinycore, Q4OS,Manjaro

Rep: Reputation: 2691Reputation: 2691Reputation: 2691Reputation: 2691Reputation: 2691Reputation: 2691Reputation: 2691Reputation: 2691Reputation: 2691Reputation: 2691Reputation: 2691

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0rthst4r View Post
Ok, sorry for such a delayed replay.

Thank you all.

I guess they will be pretty busy to waste time in trying to break all this.

For me, this is being a challenge and I am enjoying every second I dedicate to the scripts and the system, it is so rewarding for me when I have success.

So, the thing right now is I am using blind-bash and LUKS autodecryption at boot and that would be enough, but I would like to go a step further and try to hide /etc/crypttab and make harder to figure out how to decrypt LUKS volume if they boot from USB or whatever. I have tried to include it inside initramfs and deleting it from the real /etc folder but it fails. You all think doing this is something stupid, don't you? I don't really know how initramfs works. I just thought that, being already copied to initramfs, I could just delete it and it will be available at next boot. It is actually inside initramfs, I have checked, but after rebooting the setup is broken. Do you think you can help me with that?

Learning to code in some compiled language is something I am already doing but I am kind of in a hurry and it will take me a long time and besides, that won't protect the thing 100%. It will be just a bit harder. Binaries can be easily torn out too, can't they?

I will give a try to the way JJJCR suggests, just for my own knowledge, it sounds promising.

Thank you all again!
Military standard is the closest to 100%, and that is a locked room with no network, protected power, an armed guard on the door, and a remote guard watching that guard with a security crew standing by to shoot anyone who successfully gets to the door. I suspect that level of security is only 99.99%, and would be a level of security that would prevent you from getting any good use out of the machine. Do not aim for 100% security, aim for secure enough with protections in case of a breach and backups and redundancy. I strongly suspect even that would be overkill in your case.

Protecting your scripts is, in this case, only interesting because your scripts provide access (thus a vulnerability) to your data. The security of the DATA is the important factor here. If you can discover a way to prevent the vulnerability while providing the access life would be golden. Keep that in mind here. Your answer may be to find a way to AVOID having the scripts be a vulnerability. There may be an answer in the encryption tools rather than obfuscating the scripts.

I would expend some time thinking about the problem from different viewpoints to see if a way to re-engineer the solution becomes clear.

Old 08-11-2019, 02:26 AM   #17
n0rthst4r
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Ubuntu mostly

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hi! I finally used blind-bash.

And for the moment the thing is frozen, I will continue on October I am afraid.

Thank you all for your suggestions and your help.

Tags
encryption, scripts, security