LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-14-2021, 02:24 PM   #16
ZhaoLin1457

Rep: Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728Reputation: 728

I would like to note that looks like those issues with the zombified kdeconnectd, korgac and kactivitymanagerd on the exit of a Wayland/Plasma5 session are positively affected by the way how is built the Qt5.

Honestly, in my case I talk about sessions started via SDDM, where after logout followed with login again on a Wayland/Plasma5 session, I observed that usually those three programs (but sometimes others too) consumes 100% of a CPU core each one, with disappointing results on the responsiveness of my mini-PC powered by a 2W CPU, a quad core Atom x5-z8350.

Previously, on this bad team was also the PipeWire daemons, but I fixed their behavior for them using the @raforg's daemon, kindly adapted to become elogind-aware, like described on this post: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ml#post6232769

True, there is also the variant to instruct directly elogind to kill the user processes, but I thought that should be avoided.

I use also the stand-alone XWayland server.

However, @LuckyCyborg comes later with a proposal for -current, about recompiling Qt5 for a better support for Wayland/Plasma5 by leaving the applications to choose alone between XCB and Wayland as the used graphical backend: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ml#post6240581

With the help of the computer of one of my sons, I rebuilt Qt5 and plasma-workspace as proposed on that post.

True, as described by @LuckyCyborg the Wayland/Plasma5 sessions works much more reliable and looks like the applications really choose alone their graphical backend, as I seen that at least KWrite, Dolphin, Konsole and SMPlayer are using the XCB backend.

BUT, there's another "collateral effect" in the sense that now only kdeconnectd is affected by zombification on logout followed by login. Everything else works perfect.

Probably there's something else to tune for it, but personally I solved by removing and blacklisting the KDE Connect package, as I do not need it.

This way I obtained quite stable Wayland/Plasma5 sessions, where the applications works as expected (except the KDE Connect), even the SMPlayer, where previously I used its separate player window and OpenGL backend. And the Konsole and Dolphin windows are finely restored on login (I have the habit to keep always them open)

The moral of my story is that I believe that some of those issues of Wayland/Plasma5 are present because there's yet room to optimize the packages and the overall setup.

Last edited by ZhaoLin1457; 04-14-2021 at 02:56 PM.

3 members found this post helpful.