LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-12-2021, 05:48 PM   #1
redneonglow

Distribution: Gentoo, Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 24
Exclamation sshd/pam - how to disable password authentication?

Hi,

I have a Slackware -current VPS, updated weekly. I just discovered by accident that the /etc/ssh/sshd_config setting "PasswordAuthentication no" setting is being ignored. According to a Web search, this seems to have something to do with the "UsePAM" setting, but I find mixed answers on whether or not setting "UsePAM no" is dangerous. Other results suggest making changes to /etc/pam.d/sshd, which on Slackware doesn't include any comments on what needs to be added/disabled to switch to public key authentication and disable password authentication. Does anyone know what file I need to change, and what change to make, to disable password authentication and only use public key authentication?

Old 04-12-2021, 06:30 PM   #2
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 5651Reputation: 5651Reputation: 5651Reputation: 5651Reputation: 5651Reputation: 5651Reputation: 5651Reputation: 5651Reputation: 5651Reputation: 5651Reputation: 5651
I have absolutely no experience with this, but you could try the following (found on this serverfault answer):

Code:
AuthenticationMethods 'publickey'
Looking at AuthenticationMethods portion of the sshd_config man page, it states:

Quote:
Specifies the authentication methods that must be successfully completed for a user to be granted access. This option must be followed by one or more lists of comma-separated authentication method names, or by the single string any to indicate the default behaviour of accepting any single authentication method. If the default is overridden, then successful authentication requires completion of every method in at least one of these lists.

--snip--

The available authentication methods are: "gssapi-with-mic", "hostbased", "keyboard-interactive", "none" (used for access to password-less accounts when PermitEmptyPasswords is enabled), "password" and "publickey".

Old 04-12-2021, 06:45 PM   #3
chrisVV

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
How do you know it is being ignored? Can you actually log into your own machine by password only from another machine on your local network even with password and challenge/response authentication disabled? If so, something seems wrong. This is what sshd_config says about the UsePAM option:
Quote:
# Set this to 'yes' to enable PAM authentication, account processing,
# and session processing. If this is enabled, PAM authentication will
# be allowed through the ChallengeResponseAuthentication and
# PasswordAuthentication. Depending on your PAM configuration,
# PAM authentication via ChallengeResponseAuthentication may bypass
# the setting of "PermitRootLogin without-password".
# If you just want the PAM account and session checks to run without
# PAM authentication, then enable this but set PasswordAuthentication
# and ChallengeResponseAuthentication to 'no'.
For what it is worth, for my own systems I disable password authentication, challenge/response authentication and root login, and only allow pubkey authentication (ed25519). I also set AllowUsers to particular users and rate-limit login attempts with a hit counter. I set UsePAM to 'no' since with those options I have little use for PAM. But your mileage may vary.

Edit: On re-reading your post, you may not have set challenge/response to 'no'. If you don't want password authentication you generally need to disable challenge/response as well, since often the challenge is just a request for the password. As I understand it, challenge/response is a method to tunnel the authentication process through a tty so helping reduce the effectiveness of dictionary-style attacks.

Last edited by chrisVV; 04-12-2021 at 07:06 PM.

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:46 PM   #4
redneonglow

Distribution: Gentoo, Slackware

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 24
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisVV View Post
On re-reading your post, you may not have set challenge/response to 'no'. If you don't want password authentication you generally need to disable challenge/response as well, since often the challenge is just a request for the password.
Yep, setting "ChallengeResponseAuthentication no" fixed it. Thank you!

Tags
pam, pam.d, ssh, sshd, sshd_config