LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Linux Power User Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-23-2018, 03:38 PM   #16
gapan

Rep: Reputation: 142Reputation: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMcCann View Post
... now that Salix has stopped doing a non-pae kernel
Wait, that's not right. Salix still has a non-PAE kernel in 32bits.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:34 PM   #17
KD5NRH
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mill J View Post
Which pup are you using? I've had really good luck with Tahrpup, It uses the ubuntu repo. As for making it persistent(I like to frugal install first or use a CD to boot) just click the shutdown button and follow prompts.
I tried XenialPup64 and Slacko64. Same kernel panic on reboot. I can use it once, but anything persistent kills it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_7 View Post
I run from usb sticks, even on my "NEW" laptops. For HP ones you spam ESC at boot and NEVER have to boot whatever OS the laptop shipped with. It can be slow from some things that use a lot of storage I/O. But a lot of the sticks (these days) are pretty fast. I still "trust" the spinning rust more than "sticks". But I've only had ONE stick fail to date, and have over a dozen of them. Although I do re-install and use a new one every six-ish months or less. I can buy a 2 pack of relatively fast 32G sticks for < $25 at walmart. I still don't trust "sticks", but they've proven good enough for an OS that I can re-install in < 20 minutes. (as long as I have a good one laying around to boot linux).
Yeah, according to df, my Xubuntu Minecraft server isn't quite using 6GB of the stick it's on. Might grab a dirt cheap multi pack of 16GB sticks and rotate through them making weekly backups. It gets a little sluggish running the client locally, but using that Dell as a server has this old Gateway pretty darn smooth as a client, and the Dell still has enough resources left without the client running that I can do some basic web browsing and such on it. Can probably go ahead and toss a few more basics on there as long as I stay away from resource hogs like editing 9600DPI scans in gimp, or setting alarms in alarm-clock-app, (Seriously, WTF is that doing above chromium in top more than half the time?) and be able to handle some limited productivity from it when the server isn't running, while still keeping it well within the limits of a 16GB stick.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:34 AM   #18
fatmac

Distribution: AntiX

Quote:
Might grab a dirt cheap multi pack of 16GB sticks and rotate through them making weekly backups.
Sounds like a sure fire way to loose data - your backups are your life savers!

Old 02-27-2018, 05:56 PM   #19
Mike_Walsh

Distribution: Puppy Linux, AntiX

Rep: Reputation: 118Reputation: 118
You may find the slightly older Tahrpup64 doesn't have the kernel panic thing; it seems to have been a persistent problem with newer releases. Part of the problem revolves around the fact that newer kernels simply don't allow sufficient time for Pup to search (especially through a USB stick) and find all available OSes to boot. Do bear in mind Pup's ability to run from a directory.....not just a partition.

I run a 'kennels' of 10 Pups; mostly 32-bitzers, despite having a 64-bit CPU, 'cos they run like the hounds of hell are after 'em! (Sorry; couldn't resist that...)

Java; runs fine.

Servers; there's a plethora of choices available through the Puppy Forums, depending on what you want to do with it.

I run plenty of AppImages, and Windoze portable apps under WINE.....including a 'full' copy of Photoshop CS2, which I purchased 'back in the day'. Runs darn near perfectly, and does everything I ask of it.....alongside the GIMP, of course!

And as for multi-booting, well; I've yet to find anything that beats Puppy's built-in Grub4DOS bootloader for detecting, and booting, absolutely everything you can imagine.

Many folks like to 'dis' Puppy as nothing more than a toy. It's far more capable than these individuals would credit; I've been exclusively 'all-Puppy' for the last 4 years or so.....and I've never had any cause to regret it. There is nothing mainstream distros can do that Pup can't; its only downside, perhaps, being that it's somewhat more 'hands-on' than most. You mustn't be afraid to dive in and get your hands dirty!

Mike.

Last edited by Mike_Walsh; 02-27-2018 at 06:02 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:42 AM   #20
KD5NRH
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmac View Post
Sounds like a sure fire way to loose data - your backups are your life savers!
Takes a few minutes to zap a new one from an image on the other machine. Only reason to even bother with weekly backups is really for easy incremental rollback in case an update breaks something. The few files that actually get changed on a daily basis (pretty much the Minecraft world itself and possibly some prefs) are easy enough to cloud backup (or ftp to the other machine - I guess the ideal would be automating updating the image itself, but probably more work than it's worth) a few times a day.