LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-29-2020, 09:18 PM   #1
Matthew.
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mint 19 (if I can get it installed!)

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Unable to Install Linux from USB or DVD on 2007 macbook

Install media:
Created Mint 19.3 XFCE installer USB using Rufus.
Created Mint 19.3 XFCE installer DVD using Windows7.
Known-working USB enables booting into Linux (Mint 19.3 XFCE) on macbook pro 2011

Computer:
2007 (EMC2139) macbook Intel Core 2 Duo.
Neither media listed above enables me to boot from boot menu (UEFI).

Current situation:
Known-working macbook ran OS/X 10.6.8 and then Chrome O/S.
(Neverware's Cloudready Chrome for home use).
Chrome has no uninstall option.
To wipe the SSD clean, I booted from a USB-HDD using the original hard drive from my 2011 macbook pro (OS X 10.6.8). Used Disc Utility to format the 2007 macbook's SSD as Mac OS X Journaled.

Now no O/S on the machine so it boots into a white screen with a folder icon containing a question mark if no other boot option is selected. No mouse cursor. No UEFI boot menu icons.

Power off.
Insert Linux install DVD and/or USB.
Power on, hold Alt/Option key to enter boot menu.
Screen goes white and has moveable mouse cursor but nothing else.
No boot menu icons.
Remains that way until power off.

Question:
Does a/this macbook need mac OS/X installed in order to enable the installing of Linux?
When installing Chrome, OS/X and Bootcamp was still installed but was over-written (even the file system was changed).
Now the file system is Mac OS Extended Journaled again, but that may not be the condition required to install Linux.

Happy to give more info, but don't know what else to mention at this point.
Links or advice if you can, please.
Thank you.

Old 06-07-2020, 09:57 AM   #2
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew. View Post
Install media:
Created Mint 19.3 XFCE installer USB using Rufus.
Created Mint 19.3 XFCE installer DVD using Windows7.
Known-working USB enables booting into Linux (Mint 19.3 XFCE) on macbook pro 2011

Computer:
2007 (EMC2139) macbook Intel Core 2 Duo.
Neither media listed above enables me to boot from boot menu (UEFI).

Current situation:
Known-working macbook ran OS/X 10.6.8 and then Chrome O/S.
(Neverware's Cloudready Chrome for home use).
Chrome has no uninstall option.
To wipe the SSD clean, I booted from a USB-HDD using the original hard drive from my 2011 macbook pro (OS X 10.6.8). Used Disc Utility to format the 2007 macbook's SSD as Mac OS X Journaled.

Now no O/S on the machine so it boots into a white screen with a folder icon containing a question mark if no other boot option is selected. No mouse cursor. No UEFI boot menu icons.

Power off.
Insert Linux install DVD and/or USB.
Power on, hold Alt/Option key to enter boot menu.
Screen goes white and has moveable mouse cursor but nothing else.
No boot menu icons.
Remains that way until power off.

Question:
Does a/this macbook need mac OS/X installed in order to enable the installing of Linux?
When installing Chrome, OS/X and Bootcamp was still installed but was over-written (even the file system was changed).
Now the file system is Mac OS Extended Journaled again, but that may not be the condition required to install Linux.
Since you know the USB is bootable, and you've already wiped the internal drive, have you disabled UEFI/secure boot? Unless you created a secure boot USB stick, that would be the likely reason it doesn't show up as a bootable device.

Hold down command-R during startup, and enter Mac utilities. Go into the "Utilities->Startup Security" menu, and choose "No security" (this disables secure boot). Restart and try to boot from USB then.

Old 06-08-2020, 04:19 AM   #3
Matthew.
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Since you know the USB is bootable, and you've already wiped the internal drive, have you disabled UEFI/secure boot? Unless you created a secure boot USB stick, that would be the likely reason it doesn't show up as a bootable device.

Hold down command-R during startup, and enter Mac utilities. Go into the "Utilities->Startup Security" menu, and choose "No security" (this disables secure boot). Restart and try to boot from USB then.
Thank you for replying.
None fo the following key combinations pushed upon hearing the mac beelp sound is effective.
Control & R
alt/option & R
Apple key & R

I have not knowingly disabled the UEFI boot option (I do not know how).

"Secure boot stick"?
What is the difference between a secure and a regular bootable USB?
Probably I did not create a secure boot stick by chance, so probably I did not do that.

No matter what key combinations I use upon the mac bleep sound, the result is as per my original post, and at this point I can add no more except that by inserting an original OS/X (retail version) DVD of OS/X 10.6.8 I can get it to recognise that, but having forgotten my admin password / firmware password, I am not permitted to continue with an install.

I have one more thing to try as per a reply to a question on the Apple thread, pasted below just for your reference.
It's in reply to my saying I have forgotten my passwords, so not directly related to this issue.

I do appreciate of course that this is a Linux forum and not a mac hardware forum.

Sounds like a Firmware Password...
Firmware password protection in Mac OS X ...
It would block usage of all the startup keys, like C, N, T, D, CMD+s, CMD+Option+p+r, CMD +v, Option boot will show a lock, and Shift, as well as booting from anything but the Hard Drive.
Force Removing Password Protection
1) Add or remove DIMMs to change the total amount of RAM in the computer.
2) Then, the PRAM must be reset 3 times. (Command + Option + P + R).

Thanks again for replying.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:52 AM   #4
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew. View Post
Thank you for replying.
None fo the following key combinations pushed upon hearing the mac beelp sound is effective.
Control & R
alt/option & R
Apple key & R

I have not knowingly disabled the UEFI boot option (I do not know how).
Then if those key combinations aren't working, you'll have to look up what does for your particular model. And you disable secure boot by getting into the menu as describe previously. If you don't see those options, you could just look around once you get into that menu, or reference your manual/documentation for that model.
Quote:
"Secure boot stick"?
What is the difference between a secure and a regular bootable USB? Probably I did not create a secure boot stick by chance, so probably I did not do that.
The difference is one contains a signature/keys that say the OS is 'secure', the other does not. Again, since you know the stick boots, you know its bootable....leading back to secure boot being enabled, making the bootable device not show up, since it's not 'secure'.

This isn't a big deal, and you will still install a UEFI system, just not during the initial install.
Quote:
No matter what key combinations I use upon the mac bleep sound, the result is as per my original post, and at this point I can add no more except that by inserting an original OS/X (retail version) DVD of OS/X 10.6.8 I can get it to recognise that, but having forgotten my admin password / firmware password, I am not permitted to continue with an install.

I have one more thing to try as per a reply to a question on the Apple thread, pasted below just for your reference. It's in reply to my saying I have forgotten my passwords, so not directly related to this issue.
Sounds like a Firmware Password...
Firmware password protection in Mac OS X ...
It would block usage of all the startup keys, like C, N, T, D, CMD+s, CMD+Option+p+r, CMD +v, Option boot will show a lock, and Shift, as well as booting from anything but the Hard Drive.
Force Removing Password Protection
1) Add or remove DIMMs to change the total amount of RAM in the computer.
2) Then, the PRAM must be reset 3 times. (Command + Option + P + R).
Thanks again for replying.
Could be that your password is an issue; again, your documentation/user manual for your particular model has such things.

Old 06-12-2020, 08:04 PM   #5
Matthew.
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
@TB0ne

Thank you again.

It seems I have got a fair bit of learning to do about the basics of macbooks' boot processes, pre-operating system functions etc.
As the machine will not get as far as the very boot menu I seem to need access to in order to make the changes I need to make, for the time being there is no going forward.
Thankfully it is one of two old laptops and the other works, so I can take my time to learn.

Again, I know this is not a mac/hardware forum, and when I have figured out this bit and finally managed to get the machine to take a Linux build, I will happily report here what was necessary to get there.

Thanks.

EDIT.
Just successfully booted Lenovo-Ideapad-330-15IKB from Linux Mint USB, so the USB stick is not the issue.

Last edited by Matthew.; 06-12-2020 at 11:21 PM. Reason: To add information.

Old 06-14-2020, 06:52 AM   #6
Hermani

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 113Reputation: 113
-- sorry, bad post -- write before read error

Old 07-04-2020, 04:09 AM   #7
Matthew.
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Another option appeared in some videos on YT.
Please let me know if you know whether the following might work.

I use another machine to boot from the Linux Mint Bootable-USB and then install Mint to a USB-SSD and then put that SSD in the 2007 macbook and boot from what will then be an 'internal SSD.' There is no data or partition on the SSD I intend to use, by-the-way, so that may simplify things a little.

Thank you.

Old 07-04-2020, 11:39 AM   #8
G-Raps

Distribution: Debian 12.5, MX Linux 23.2, Ubuntu 22.04

If you're wondering what is Apple Macbook related and what is Linux related, your issue with reinstalling MacOS is Apple related, while disabling secure boot is non-Apple device related.

I have installed Ubuntu 20.04 in an Apple Macbook Pro 15", early 2011 model. Linux Mint 19.3 might not have the proper drivers needed to install on your 2007 Macbook. Depending on the specifications, and hardware accessibility list, Linux Mint might only work for earlier Macbooks. Check the Mint website for details.

Ubuntu 18.04 might work for your Macbook. Check Ubuntu's hardware accessibility list for more support. If you're looking for 32-bit processing, try using an Ubuntu Linux distribution earlier than 17.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:11 PM   #9
G-Raps

Matthew, if you're interested in dropping interest in Linux Mint, and continuing onward to Ubuntu, there is a support page for this purpose.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MactelSuppor...unityHelpPages

There is some work based on Macbooks, 2007 models.

Old 07-06-2020, 04:49 AM   #10
Matthew.
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Raps View Post
If you're wondering what is Apple Macbook related and what is Linux related, your issue with reinstalling MacOS is Apple related, while disabling secure boot is non-Apple device related.

I have installed Ubuntu 20.04 in an Apple Macbook Pro 15", early 2011 model. Linux Mint 19.3 might not have the proper drivers needed to install on your 2007 Macbook. Depending on the specifications, and hardware accessibility list, Linux Mint might only work for earlier Macbooks. Check the Mint website for details.

Ubuntu 18.04 might work for your Macbook. Check Ubuntu's hardware accessibility list for more support. If you're looking for 32-bit processing, try using an Ubuntu Linux distribution earlier than 17.
Hi.

Point 1. Secure boot.
I believe that secure boot options are accessed through either the Apple recovery mode or by booting from install DVD and then accessing the utility menu. Neither is available to me as the UEFI/boot menu will not recognise anything but an external (usb)HDD which is the system disk for another macbook whose login password I do not know. UEFI/boot menu does not show the linux mint bootable stick. Catch 22. I cannot access the part of the system I need to access in order to turn off secure boot... in order to boot from the UEFI/boot menu. Known-working stick (I am typing this on a browser running in Linux Mint 19.3 XFCE booted on a 2011 macbook pro. How do I access the part of the system in which secure boot can be disabled on the 2007 mackbook core 2 duo, though?

Point 2.
As per above, I am typing this using Linux Mint 19.3 booted from usb on a 2011 macbook pro, so it cannot be the case that Mint only works on earlier macbooks, but it may indeed be the case that it only works on later macbooks. I will have to find a compatibility list somewhere.

I chose Mint 19.3 XFCE as it is listed as lightweight and with some office programs and reliable.
I do not care what flavour of Linux I put on the machine, as long as it meets, or can be made to meet, the above requirements. I am a raw beginner - as can be seen by my inability even to get the o/s onto machine - so I will transition from Windows and OS/X as easily (or not) to most Linux flavours.
Privacy and security / Simplicity (no bloat at all if possible) / libre office or open office... I have very simple requirements.~

Thanks a lot for replying.

Last edited by Matthew.; 07-06-2020 at 04:50 AM.

Old 07-06-2020, 04:55 AM   #11
Matthew.
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Raps View Post
Matthew, if you're interested in dropping interest in Linux Mint, and continuing onward to Ubuntu, there is a support page for this purpose.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MactelSuppor...unityHelpPages

There is some work based on Macbooks, 2007 models.
Thank you.
As I said in my reply to G-Raps on July 6th Japanese time, any flavour of Linux which gives security and privacy (I am not a mine for data, or at least I do not want to be) / simplicity (no bloat) / will run Libre or similar office package / is very stable... is enough for me as a starting point and will please me no end if I can make it work.

So I will take a look at the advice link you gave me, thanks again.

Old 07-06-2020, 06:36 AM   #12
G-Raps

Matthew, another resource for you:
irc.freenode.net, port 6667. internet relay chat (irc) is a resource for those who are working on systems in realtime. You can visit the ##linux channel after creating a user profile for easier login. Otherwise, you may remain anonymous but will have less capabilities when entering a channel.

I go to ##linux once in a while, and have been there under the name graps.

Old 08-22-2020, 12:09 AM   #13
Matthew.
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Update.
As per the site below, I downloaded a modified iso for Linux Mint.
The supposed benefit is that the 64bit linux will boot on a macbook core 2 duo (32bit uefi).
Neither the DVD burned from this image, nor the USB made (with UNetbootin Windows version) enables to macbook to boot or even shows up in a boot menu.
So the machine will still only boot from a USB-SATA drive with OS X 10.6.
No idea where to go next.

https://mattgadient.com/linux-dvd-im...e-2006-models/

https://unetbootin.github.io/

Old 08-22-2020, 12:50 AM   #14
colorpurple21859
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Slackware Debian, Fedora, others

Rep: Reputation: 1589Reputation: 1589Reputation: 1589Reputation: 1589Reputation: 1589Reputation: 1589Reputation: 1589Reputation: 1589Reputation: 1589Reputation: 1589Reputation: 1589
This https://github.com/jfwells/linux-asu...ee/master/boot generate a 32 bit bootloader. It looks like you need a linux system to create the file, maybe you can do that from a linux system running in a virtual machine on windows.
Use rufus to create usb and drop the created file in the efi/boot on the usb.

Old 09-06-2020, 12:23 AM   #15
Matthew.
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorpurple21859 View Post
This https://github.com/jfwells/linux-asu...ee/master/boot generate a 32 bit bootloader. It looks like you need a linux system to create the file, maybe you can do that from a linux system running in a virtual machine on windows.
Use rufus to create usb and drop the created file in the efi/boot on the usb.
Thank you.
The iso from mattgadient.com is one modified by Matt Gadient to do precisely what you have suggested (I think).
I will non-the-less follow your suggestion and see.
I know far too little to theorise about why everything I have tried so far has failed.

Summary...
It ran Chrome O/S from USB while running OS X from the internal HDD (not at the same time obviously).
Installed Chrome as the only (HDD) O/S to bring the old thing back to life.
Discovered Linux with its privacy, stability, free-use and updates.
Removed HDD (no uninstall option on Chrome) and formatted OS X journaled.
Unable to install Mint 19 - learned about 32 bit UEFI on 64 bit 2007 macbook.
Unable to install modified Mint supposedly including 32 bit UFEI boot loader.

Next. Your suggestion. Have two old machines (2007/2011) and the less old one boots Mint 19 from USB, so no rush / stress.