LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-04-2020, 08:24 PM   #1
questionsBot

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
How can I edit files with a script? - Writing a "after install" script for my laptop

So I have been playing with BodHi for about a month now and really getting into it, but have yet to commit to it as a productive environment. I am still reinstalling. I have made a script to install all the software I have found I like and also set a lot of that software up... but one of the things I have to do myself is edit text files and stuff. Is there a way to edit text files with scripts? maybe searching and replacing a line, or adding to the bottom of the file or something? Or even making a new text file and adding lines to that?

Thanks!

Old 07-04-2020, 08:37 PM   #2
tinfoil3d

Distribution: debian, lfs, whatever else i need in qemu

Of course... just an examples of what to look for:
Code:
echo "add the line at the end" >> /target/file
Code:
echo "This are a mistake" | sed 's/are/is/'
Code:
printf "line 1\nline2\n" | grep "line 2"
Google for "shell scripting", "bash scripts"

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:18 PM   #3
berndbausch

Distribution: A few

Rep: Reputation: 1493Reputation: 1493Reputation: 1493Reputation: 1493Reputation: 1493Reputation: 1493Reputation: 1493Reputation: 1493Reputation: 1493Reputation: 1493
Quote:
Originally Posted by questionsBot View Post
Is there a way to edit text files with scripts? maybe searching and replacing a line, or adding to the bottom of the file or something? Or even making a new text file and adding lines to that?
The short answer is yes, absolutely. The usual tools are sed and awk.

Substituting strings is the domain of sed:
Code:
sed s/oldstring/newstring/g original-file > new-file
sed -i s/oldstring/newstring/g original-file
oldstring can be a regular expression.

For more complex text processing, awk is very handy. It requires a minimum of programming skills. The following creates a quick and dirty histogram of all words in a file.
Code:
awk '{ for (i=1;i<NF;i++) histogram[$i]++ }
       END { for (word in histogram) print word ":", histogram[word] }' textfile
For more fun, see my signature.

Last edited by berndbausch; 07-04-2020 at 10:41 PM. Reason: removed an error from the awk program

Old 07-04-2020, 11:48 PM   #4
Turbocapitalist

Distribution: Linux Mint, Devuan, OpenBSD

Rep: Reputation: 2443Reputation: 2443Reputation: 2443Reputation: 2443Reputation: 2443Reputation: 2443Reputation: 2443Reputation: 2443Reputation: 2443Reputation: 2443Reputation: 2443
One tip about using -i with sed is to have it save a backup of the original.

Code:
sed -i.orig -e 's/old/new/' file.txt
That will leave the original as file.txt.orig. See "man sed" for the details.

When writing whole files, you might consider using "HERE" documents.

Code:
$ cat <<EOT > x.txt
a 
b
c
EOT

$ cat x.txt 
a 
b
c
They are described in several of the major guides and tutorials, albeit maybe not as clearly as they could be:

https://wiki-dev.bash-hackers.org/syntax/redirection
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/here-docs.html
https://linux.die.net/abs-guide/here-docs.html

However, once you get beyond editing simple text and start messing with JSON, EBNF, XML, or other weird formats, it will be much easier (and safer) to just replace the whole file. If you must edit in place then for those formats you cannot use AWK or sed scripts and must turn to perl or python instead.

Old 07-05-2020, 05:52 AM   #5
shruggy

Recently found out there's an extension to gawk (yes, starting from version 4.1 gawk supports loadable modules!) that provides sed/perl/ruby -i functionality.

1 members found this post helpful.