LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-09-2019, 01:45 PM   #1
bertram.fukuda
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
"Failover" default gateway

Hi. I'm running into an issue I can't figure out. We have a system that has 2 interfaces, one attached to our intranet and the other a dummy non-connected. The reason for the dummy interface is to allow one of our application to remain running regardless of network connectivity. What I need to configure is if eth0 is active eth0 is the default gateway. If eth0 is disconnected, the dummy ip becomes the default gateway. When eth0 is re-connected, it resumes as the default gateway. I've looked at bonding and policy-based routing but not sure either is the best solution. Currently, we have cron job that runs every 5 minutes to check the status of eth0, if it's down it switches over the default gateway but would really like to figure out something a little cleaner/nicer than this. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 05-16-2019, 02:35 PM   #2
nini09

Rep: Reputation: 161Reputation: 161
If you use bonding interface, bond module can take care of fail-over when one of two interface is down.