LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking > Linux - Wireless Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Wireless Networking This forum is for the discussion of wireless networking in Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2018, 09:31 PM   #1
Starcraftmazter
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Best wifi stick for linux PC?

Hey guys

I have a new PC for work (running fedora 28), and I am having some trouble getting wifi to it. I bought a new wifi stick - a tplink (model tl-wn823N, vendor realtek product id #003802.11n NI), and it doesn't seem to work at all - it detects all the wifi connections available, but fails to connect to anything (messages log: https://pastebin.com/G8pbgg3S).

I used a pretty old wifi stick I have - asus model usb-n13 (802.11b/g/n), and that does connect, though it can take 2 or so attempts. However this connection is very very very slow (im talking 10-20KB/s). I thought maybe its to do with our office wifi (the router is very new, so maybe using some new standard or something), so I tried with my mobile hotspot, and the speed is a lot better but still much slower than either my mobile wifi or data (not sure which hotspot will use). Now we are talking maybe 200KB/s

I thought maybe it's because the PC wifi stick is lower than my laptop (though only by like 50cm), and so I tried to plug it into my monitor (this is still the asus that is working), but then it does not connect - even to my mobile hotspot. It does see all the connections once more, but there is some issue authenticating (https://pastebin.com/JXrXpvpQ).

So I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do now. My laptop (also running fedora) and phone both connect to office wifi fine and have very good speed (over 50 Mb/s ), so I am wondering what the issue might be with the wifi sticks.

Can someone recommend a good wifi stick that is well supported by existing linux drivers? I couldn't find a good answer to this while googling.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:10 AM   #2
fatmac
LQ Guru

Distribution: Mainly Devuan, antiX, & Void, with Tiny Core, Fatdog, & BSD thrown in.

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I have 4 TP-Link PCI cards all working, so it depends on what chips are in the wifi sticks.

I have a desktop TP-Link & 2 AddOn USB sticks, all work fine for me, most use the Atheros chips.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:16 AM   #3
kilgoretrout

Rep: Reputation: 388Reputation: 388Reputation: 388Reputation: 388
This company guarantees that there stuff will work with linux:

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/catalog...rking-gnulinux

Old 08-13-2018, 08:28 AM   #4
pan64
LQ Addict

Distribution: debian/ubuntu/suse ...

Rep: Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308
I've heard that you may need to use the same "company" for your router and wifi stick - if you want to get maximal performance. And obviously you need to have linux driver for that stick.